Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Using a Dodge Front D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Mar 25, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

As the Title asks, has anyone used a Dodge D60 Front in a Chevy? Are there any issues that make this a bad swap?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

easy swap. spring pads are about 3/8" off but spring flex takes care of this. and the steering arm taper for the joint is diff. just put on a chevy arm or crossover. and just a few tinny things other than those.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put one in this summer, give me a pm, it was a small pain but they have some hidden advantages too.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

im running one.. If i can give you any advice.. Dont spread the springs apart to get them to line up with the perches. Make some spacers, If you spread the springs your truck will ride like ****, and flex like ****.

The perches are a 1/2 inch wider on the dodge. So make some spacers, to move your springs out 1/4 inch on each side. and itll bolt on up.

If you dont go to x over right away, then you can find somone to ream out the hole on the stock dodge steering arm, to GM tie rod end size. and use that arm instead if running a 4 inch lift block and the stock GM arm. (my friend used a dodge arm on his Chev 60 and it worked well until he was able to go x over (recommended highly)

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be putting one in and I know az-k5 has one in his rig. They are 2" narrower than a GM axle, and there is the whole external lockout issue (if yours even has them). Other than that, and the spring pad diff. mentioned above, they are the same thing and (in my experience) if a GM D60 and a Dodge D60 are laid side by side, the Dodge will ALWAYS be cheaper in initial purchase price. Good luck.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I helped Matt (az-k5) install his dodge D60 into his K5. It wasn't that bad. You DO need to space the springs out to match the perches though otherwise it will ride and flex like a$$ as someone mentioned. I would also install crossover steering at the same time to help save on that steering headache. Matt fabbed up a steering arm thing for his but it didn't work that well and was a PITA when he broke it wheeling one weekend.

His Dodge 60 came with internal style hubs since it was from a 90 or 91 and had center drop brake lines. He used his existing hoses, but you may choose to get the center drop system to work if you are going to have alot of flex.

Also if you are going to wheel it get a BEEFY (3/8" or thicker wall) tierod. Matt sleeved his stock tierod with some .120 wall tube and he still bent the sh*t out of it in multiple places.

You will also need to find a Chevy D60 pinion yoke to put on the Dodge 60. They are different and your driveshaft won't bolt up to the Dodge yoke.

Harley