Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using a GM crate motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Jan 6, 2007.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of goin with the 260hp/350tq. Its alot more than my OEM 305 and comes with a warranty. Jus wondering if anyone has getting this motor and is there a big diff. between 2bolt main and 4bolt. I dont drive my truck hard or mudbog or rock crawl it, jus some trail riding and what not.

2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i dont have a GM crate motor but if youve got a tired 305 that motor should be a nice improvement and should do just fine for what you do. the diff between 2 bolt and 4 bolt mains is the number of bolts holding the main bearing caps on. 4 bolts will be stronger but they arent needed unless youre building a motor with much higher hp.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Check again, if thats the basic Goodwrench motor I think it has 4-bolt mains. Mine does.:D

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ah, your right, I jus re-read the ad. its a 4bolt main with 2 piece rear main seal. that must by what I seen was the number 2 and thought it was 2 bolt. My bad. So, im good to go. lol

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Awright, you won't be sorry.:D

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I run the same one and it is a great motor for the price.

7. CutlassKid85

CutlassKid85 Registered Member

My k5 came with a goodwrench 350, is there any way to tell/track what it put out when it was new? Its only about seven years old.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I don't think they were mass producing the powdered metal (PM) rods back then? And 4Bolt Goodwrench :dunno:

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

That Goodwrench universal 350 is a good motor. If you can, I'd swap the cam for something a little newer and bigger from Comp or another manufacturer. With a little more cam and maybe even some 1.6 rockers, I'd expect quite a few more horses out of that motor. You could always add better heads down the road if you wanted more power.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there goes that warranty....

for most guys a fresh 350 is a big improvement over what they are running now. If you are REALLY looking at going the crate engine route and the HP of that engine isn't enough, look at stepping up an engine level or two.

For the MAJORITY of people, 2 bolt main blocks are just fine. Everyone just thinks they need 4 bolt mains.

11. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

The whole reason to get this motor is the warranty. I have no intent in monkeying with it. Im pretty sure 260hp/350tq is alot more than my 120k mile factory 305 puts out. :D

12. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ive got the290 hp one. from gm. its pretty bad. :) lol...then again i had a like 5 hp motor before...LOL. but its been pretty good so far. im runnin an edelbrock intake/carb adn will have hooker headers soon. But right now i think its pushin around 320-325ish. Like i said its a stout motor.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The only people who really need 4 bolt mains are the guys seeing huge rpms , over a longer period of time . Its overkill for most of us .

It does have a urban legend feel attached to owning one , like anything with a 454 has , or how quick 700r4's die , or how 400 overheat too quick . Its just in peoples minds they HAVE to have one since its all thats been talked about since the late 60's .

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

15. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

where can you get one of these goodwrench crate motors at. also how much are they?

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Less than $1500. Jeg's, Summit, Scogin/Dickey, Pace.

17. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Scoggin Dickey about $2100 for motor with edelbrock intake, edelbrock carb, mallory HEI distributor. That's the base motor with 260 hp. One thing I've found though and maybe I pay too much attention, in the catalogs (if you compare side by side) the jegs motor says it puts out more torque than the summit motor, but they are both the same GM stock number. Hmmmmm.... I"m also looking at the same motor for a daily driver pickup I"m putting together when I get home. I like S/D's kit because it has pretty much everthing to get started on a engine swap project minus the "little things" to nickel and dime you to death.