Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using a NP241 t-case??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Aug 29, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Yeah I know they are chain drive but the crawl ratio makes it nice. Thinking about going to one sine I wanted to change my t-case out anyway.

Thoughts??

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 91 , I like it but there is one catch , it's the only one I have ever owned /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It has a really slow crawl in 1st. gear , hard shifts into second , and no problems in the mud when you hold it to the mat /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Not much help but /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I will be using one but then I've went to a lot of trouble to reduce the weight of the truck. They came in one tons so they can't be all bad.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

The 241 came in 1 Ton's ?
    Are they the same or a more beefed up version ?

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They came in one tons so they can't be all bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did NP208's so that means prety much nothing. It should be noted that 241's are not bullet proof. A bad u-joint in my front driveshaft resulted in the front half of the case cracking in my burban.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That is all I've ever run. It's nice and lightweight. I like the gear ratio. The problems I've run into were things like bending the mainshaft by running too short of a rear driveshaft after I lifted it, breaking the rear housing probably due to the same cause and hammering on it, that sort of thing. I put in the JB Conversions slip yoke eliminator this year and it's held up great. It shortened the overall length and allowed me to run a longer driveshaft. Overall, I like it and have no plans to switch to anything different.

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Thye say if you have a 700r4 tranny with either a 208 or a 241 that you can have the same crawl ratio as someone with a doubler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thye say if you have a 700r4 tranny with either a 208 or a 241 that you can have the same crawl ratio as someone with a doubler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A 700R4 has a 1st speed ratio of 3.06:1
    An NP241 has a low range of 2.72:1
    If you have 4.10s in your axles, that give you an overall of 34.1:1 crawl ratio!

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I went from a 241 to a 205 in my Jimmy and it sucked. The 205 by itself did not have enough low range behind the th400. I have a 241 in the 90 and plan to find out how well they are built when I put a Klune in front of it. I have a spare t case that I will carry in the tow rig if I do any trips longer then a day. Another good thing on the 241 is they are cheap and easy for me to find.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I like the 241 in our family "1 ton K5". It's combined with a 700r4 and often called a "poor boy doubler" because of the nice combined low range. The only weakness is a slip yoke aluminum case that hangs down too far. But it can be clocked up and protected to keep from breaking/hanging the case, and the slip yoke can be eliminated with one of several kits or by finding a donor output shaft and bearing retainer from a Ford 241.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have a 208 and I plan to put in a 241 just so I can have a littl lower range gear and so that I can get the sye kit, its the only way to go /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    Another good thing on the 241 is they are cheap and easy for me to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO Wayne, what's cheap..$50

Hook a brother up /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the 241 that is used in Heep Wrangler Rubicons has the 4:1 low range. I guess it is also a stronger case than regular 241's, but I doubt it would be easy or cheap to put one in a GM. I know it is pretty much a bolt in swap in newer TJ's.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if clocked and skid plated and a SYE kit is added, they are a good case. Personally, if I was gonna do all that, I'd prolly rather just get an Atlas, Klune or Doubler.

j

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in GMs that I'm aware of. My SFA 1 tons had NP205s in them and my IFS 1 tons had borg/warner 'cases. Now the dodge/cummins may have used a '241 in the 1 tons, my cummins has a '241 but is a 2500 series.

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

While we're talking 241's, are there both right and left drop GM versions and what years/models would have the right drop version?

17. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did NP208's so that means prety much nothing. It should be noted that 241's are not bullet proof. A bad u-joint in my front driveshaft resulted in the front half of the case cracking in my burban.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda difficult to fault the case for a bad ujoint isn't it? The fact that they came in 1 tons tells me they were designed to deal with higher torque loads than something that would not have been offered in a 1 ton. No transfercase is unbreakable. Yes I will agree that the aluminum case is prone to breakage if its dropped on the rocks or whatever. All in all it is a good tcase. Lightweight and strong. No not bullet proof, so don't shoot it.

18. cybrfire

there are passenger and drivers side drop but I don't know the exact years that they switched all of that. Same time the IFS went in basically. I'm not big on the new sheet metal so I don't have the exact years.

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    A 700R4 has a 1st speed ratio of 3.06:1
    An NP241 has a low range of 2.72:1
    If you have 4.10s in your axles, that give you an overall of 34.1:1 crawl ratio!

[/ QUOTE ]

You must remember the torque converter , when your at a crawl in low , you are getting WAY more gearing than you do on paper , thanks to the torque converter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally, if I was gonna do all that, I'd prolly rather just get an Atlas, Klune or Doubler.

j

[/ QUOTE ] You know, you're propably right. By the time I found a 32 spline 205 or at least upgraded mine and bought the double setup. It would be about the same as getting the 241 and adapter for the 465. I could go with a nv4500 but then I lose the low granny gear