Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone using a solid fan instead of a clutch type fan on their rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, May 15, 2004.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Just wondering the benifits vs. the drawbacks?

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I used to, but had a lot of problems with cooling issues, overcooling, and it just seemed to suck too much power from the rig at low speed so I ditched it in favor of a HD clutch and stock fan.

The truck actually runs better now and gets slightly better milage now too.
    Then again I'm running a fairly stock 350 TBI which doesn't have all that much power to begin with.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have a flex fan
    would rather have a clutch with high blade count

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I used to run a solid flex fan and never had any cooling trouble at all. I recently took it off and replaced it w/ an electric unit just for giggles.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a flex-fan and one of the things on my list is to ditch it in favor of a stock fan/lcutch setup.

I have had problems with high RPM and low vehicle speeds...The fan flattens out and doesn't pull enough air to keep it cool.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have a solid (non-flex) fan with no clutch in my k5 and it stays very cool on the road and the trail. The new motor in my '68 has a clutch fan but I have yet to get it on the road to see how it does /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a flex-fan and one of the things on my list is to ditch it in favor of a stock fan/lcutch setup.

I have had problems with high RPM and low vehicle speeds...The fan flattens out and doesn't pull enough air to keep it cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

UUUMMM, thats how a flex fan works,,,, at low rpms it retains it's normal shape to pull in air, at high rpm's it "flex's" flattenes out so not to cause alot of drag, you don't need a fan when driving at a higher speed.

Problem with them on the trail though, is if you run a high rpm for some reason, and are not moving all that fast, no air movement, they don't work real good.

Go with either a good sized electric or the heavy duty fan clutch setup, IMO they work the best. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Using a solid mounted stock fan is the ultimate cooling, but there is a great deal of lost power from the motor, they create ALOT of drag.
    I had a clutch lock up on me in a previous car while driving on the freeway, i could tell something broke, it got REAL noisy and felt like i hit a massive headwind.
    You will also lose fuel mileage with this setup.

8. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Kind of on the topic, I noticed a gain in HP by replacing my stock clutch fan and putting in electrics but if you plan on going into deep mud or water you have to be carefull. I've killed about 4 fans and one radiator forgetting to turn them off on the mud or water. Broke or bend plades, and I mounted them through the radiator once... when it caught resistance by hitting water it adversly twisted the fan mounts through the radiator and broke some of my radiator cooling fins. Electric fans are great but they can have their drawbacks.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

pete, i run a solid mount. no shroud, i think it blows on my engine more effectively than it sucks air through the rad. i have a 16" electric bolted to the rad when things get bad. the engine never runs hot, but the tranny does... but you knew that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so i think i may build a shroud.