Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using DIACOM??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Jul 7, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was flipping through a book I have on Chevy fuel injection, and I came across a section on something called DIACOM diagnostic software. It runs on a PC and connects to the ALDL to read codes and see real-time info from all the sensors. Found the company's website at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rinda.com>http://www.rinda.com</A>, looks pretty interesting. Anyone using it or have prior experience with it?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm not sure, but I think realsquash would be familiar with it.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think that unless you have a lap top computer.The software would be pretty useless. It would be pretty hard to lug your PC out to your garage and plug it in every time you wanted to check out something. I got a laugh out of the picture on their web site of the guy laying under the car typing on his big ol desk top pc.
    Lap tops are pretty expensive.
    For around 150.00 you can get a Auto-X Ray scan tool that will tell you anything you need to know on how your computer controlled engine is running.It gives a digital readout on a small lcd screen of all the engine's operating data. The scanner is small, battery powerd and completly portable. It works great for me. Many auto parts stores carry them.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know about the Auto X-Ray. If I'm gonna spend $100+, I want something that I can use in real-time and see more than one parameter at a time. It'll come in handy if I ever get my TPI/Vortec 383... I can get a bare-bones laptop that's good enough to run the software for next to nothing, so that's not too much of an issue.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey Jarhd,

I got DIACOM years ago, mainly for working on my '86 Vette 350 TPI L98. I works pretty slick although it wasn't cheap it "was" cheaper than any scanner at the time. It's great to be able to see ALL in/outputs at the same time. I got he the cheaper version that will only record a couple of minutes of operating time (depends on the speed of the ECM you're interrogating) but you can easily drop the info into a spread sheet to help troubleshoot intermittent problems.

I think Squash mentioned other/cheaper software alternatives but he's MUCH more computer savy than I.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I run the DOS version of the DIACOM software on an old 286 notebeook. Makes a great way to recycle an otherwise junk laptop. Displays all parameters at once, and saving to a spreadsheet is a snap. Better than a scan tool, IMO.

SteveB

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... I bought and use Diacom. It is absolutely a must to have a tool like it for doing any EFI chip burning, etc. It is very good, and for the number of vehicles that it supports, $300 ain't so bad. It allows me to log runs, view all the sensors, pulse width, etc.

There are some alternatives, but they all require some involved work on your end.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Sweet, one more item to add to my wish list!!