Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using Orbit Eye spring bushings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Mar 4, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been watching for rigs with the Orbit Eye bushings but haven't seen any .. anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.aor4x4.com/orbit-eyepoly-eye.htm

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I seen those in the a mag but it only said toyotas. Is our spring eye the same size? Those would be nice to have, the more movement the better,LOL.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, they say on their site that they can accomodate other vehicles. I put a call in to them but got an answering machine. Based upon what I read, they can make it work. I'm more concerned about strength with a full size truck. If they can assure me its strong enough, I'll buy a set!

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They are generally called "Johny Joints" and yes, a good quality JJ is more than strong enough for a K5. I've seen allot of guys running the on PBB so do a search there. They are using them in leafs but mostly on multi-link suspension as an improvement to rod ends. The JJs have better misalignment characteristics, do not wear like rod ends (resulting in rattles, squeaks and popping out), they are rebuildable, basically better in every way and I've heard no down sides except for cost. I expect I'm going to have some binding in my rear suspension so I've been thinking about these too.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Bag it, and keep it cheep!

Grind your urathane bushings down. I've done it and it works, It allows the spring eye to rotate around the bushing easily.

(Wish I had a digital-cam right now!)
    I took the front urathane bushing that is 1.5" in dia and fitts a spring eye that is 2.5" wide, chocked up the bushing in a drill. Then useing a die-grinder, ground down the outer edges, by the shoulder down to 1" dia.. Then chamfered the necked down section towerd the center. The center 1" width of the bushing is untouched. Get-it? Looks like a reverse hour-glass ith the shoulders un-touched.

6. BadDog

I've heard that mentioned before. Do you just leave the outer shoulders in place to hold it horizontally stable? Something like <a target="_blank" href=http://www.members.cox.net/russhuffman/bushing.gif>this</a>?

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Whatd' ya got a new drafting program over-there or somthing? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yeah, thats close. The shoulders are un-touched, they do hold it horizontally stable.
    From the pic, mine do not have such a sharp-edge from the shoulder to the necked down section, it's curved more, smoother. Because I used a Carbide bit, it worked the best.

The differnce4 is measurable, and you can see it working when flexed out. The front spring eye really works well, the rear with the shackle, is not as impressive. On mine, the front eye is a much harder plastic, so it should keep the axle located.

8. BadDog

No, just Visio. I expect the back eye has less opportunity for mods anyway (on a stock front spring) because it is much smaller than the front eye. I may give that a try, worst case is I trash a bushing.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Do it, I bet you'll be happy with the results. It is very efective in getting the spring to twizt.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Agreed, I think it's going to be a wear prown item, not a big deal, bushings are cheep. If the spring eye is trimmed a bit, to take out the ruff edges, it might help limit the wear.

I do however expect to replace the bushings as needed.
    I'd expect the same from the Orbit-eye thing, it would wear out as-well.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the orbit eye is rebuildable but there is no mention as to replacement parts cost or availability. I'd like to mount one on top of the diff and run V style rods back out to the frame. It would locate the rear end, combat axle wrap and not inhibit flex rotation. It would also lend well to a gradual transition of replacing the leafs with a Johny Joint link beam and angling a set of cheap coils or pricey coil overs in there.

13. BadDog

There was one guy that said he was going to take a JJ slightly larger than the eye and turn the outer diameter of the sleeve to fit in a leaf spring eye. Or maybe he said that's what he "did" (past tense). I don't remember for sure but using them stuck in my mind anyway. Like you said, they are rebuildable. You can get the Teflon(???) inserts to replace and the little end caps can be tightened to compensate for wear without a rebuild.

As for wearing out those football bushings, seems to me one of the worst things would be the edge of the leaf where it is rolled to form the eye. My new BDS springs were really sharp in there, and there was a really rough surface inside the eye. I took a die grinder and smoothed it out (and rounded the sharp leaf end) before installing the bushings with grease. I didn't take allot of time or do a really good job but it could be taken farther. An even better solution might be to take some really thin wall DOM (or turn it down) and press it into the eye. Polish the inside really well, and round the ends. That would allow easy, low wear movement of the football. You could also fill the cavities with grease when assembled, or maybe drill them through in some of the heavier section and use greasable bolts. Still have a problem with the ends though. Oh well, just thinking out loud...

14. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Bad Dog on those sharp rough edges in your spring eyes the easiest way to smooth them off is to use a brake hone and run it inside them. I did mine that way and it worked great. Mine were really bad with paint runs and all. I tried the football bushings and they did not last very long at all. But then I am hard on parts so maybe they will work better for some of you guyyyyyyyyys.

15. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

A LINK ON THE TOP OF DIFF WILL DO LITTLE GOOD IN COMBATTING AXLEWRAP . IM NOT YELLING MY CAPS LOCK BROKE .

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It does, when you replace the leafs with link beams. I'm thinking about ditching the eliptical idea and going coil!

17. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

how i read it you said u wer gonna put it on soon with the regular leaves /forums/images/icons/smile.gif