Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using Procomp shocks? Or any other decent cheap shock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mplogic, Apr 14, 2003.

1. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Just looking for a cheap set to get by until we put a long travel setup on.

Anyone know the difference between the 1000, 3000, and 9000 series? The website descriptions basically just say the same thing in different order. Trying to find out which ones are the softest and would work best on a leaf sprung front end. Anyone recommend another cheap brand?

Thanks!

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a set on all fours and now just have one. What I've noticed is that driving it on the road it has a short range of motion and for some reason the shocks make a big bubble around that. I mean there was no dampening for a good 2" of stroke (1" up and 1" down from position I took it off at). Just my $.02 Oh yea and they were 3000

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i run the es3000's, and i have no complaints. i installed them when i did my 2 1/2" lift and my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif rides a hell of a lot better than stock, i personally would recommend them. just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rick

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got a set of rancho 5000's on mine and they ride a little better than the procomps i had on there.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm running the ProComp ES 3000 and I like them. Alot of the comfort comes from the spring rate, The ES 3000 are doing good for me anyways.

6. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

i've got the rancho rsx shocks- i like them, if you have a Napa parts store there i think they are sale at 4 for the cost of 3 right now you probably will also get a discount on the extra 2 if you need 6. i've not heard much about the procomps, hope this helps you, Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I had doetch techs... they were pretty cheap and MHO is that they sucked completely. Sheared the piston on at least 3 of em' and eventually went to rs9000 ranchos. THis is the best "cheap" shock I have ever owned. They actually do what they are supposed to do and Ranco usually has buy 3 get one free specials. I still have them in the back of my rig and about the only thing better is high dollar external res. shocks and coilovers. That's my two cents. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

just search the catalogues for a monroe or gabriel that fits.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get some DT8000s. good shocks and $35 a pop via WTO.

j

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a sales guy at a 4x4 shop, and I don't know if he is full of sh^t or not, but he told me that the ES3000, Rancho 5000, and the Superlift shock are all the same. He said they are all made at the same plant, have the same internals, and at a certain point in the assembly line get the different stamp in the can that makes it a Rancho or a Pro-Comp. This is just what he told me, I am in no way saying this is true or not, but thought it was pretty interesting.

11. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I heard the same ting also. But unable to verify

12. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

That's what I heard too from a mechanic. He even said a lot of the same brand are identical and there is no real difference between shocks other than a lot of marketing.

I wondered about the Rancho/Procomp connection myself as now Procomp has an adjustable that looks exactly like the Rancho 9k.

One of the shops told me to avoid the RSX as they are a stiffer shock recommended for IFS rigs, course then they tried to sell me a set of 9000s. Just can't trust marketing or sales people for anything, which is why I wanted to see what you guys have actually used on your trucks.

Thanks for all the input.

13. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a set on all fours and now just have one. What I've noticed is that driving it on the road it has a short range of motion and for some reason the shocks make a big bubble around that. I mean there was no dampening for a good 2" of stroke (1" up and 1" down from position I took it off at). Just my $.02 Oh yea and they were 3000

[/ QUOTE ]

which way did you have the shocks mounts? Was the can up and rod down?

As far as Rancho and Pro Comp being made at the same plant, they are both made by monroe. They however to have brand specific valving, from my experiance the Pro-Comp's are stiffer. The exra stiffness is nice expecially since all the long RS-5000 are designed for dual shock applications. As far as the new pro-comp adjustable shock looking like a RS-9000, I think its time to get your eyes checked because they arent even the same style of shock, and adjusting knobs are at opposite ends. I want to give the New procomp's a try but think for the price you can get a bilstien

14. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I swapped from Pro Comp 3000's to RS 9000's on the front and I like it a whole lot better.

15. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have ES3000's. Two on each front wheel and on per back wheel. I have National springs and am getting 10" of travel, the shocks don't limit me, but they did cost more than the normal ones. I am switching to a coil over set up soon, so all my old stuff will be gone. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

As far as the new pro-comp adjustable shock looking like a RS-9000, I think its time to get your eyes checked because they arent even the same style of shock, and adjusting knobs are at opposite ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, well it was just a crappy b&w pic in a magazine so it might have even been a RS9000, haven't seen 'em in person yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does anybody know if anyone actually has a system of measuring the damping ability of various shocks. I wish I could find some real numbers that meant something. I seem to remember they had something like that for bike shocks so you'd think there'd be a measurable test for auto shocks as well??? Like an applied force vs. time to compress and rebound sort of thing. We can get good numbers on spring rates so why not shocks?

17. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have some cheap Gabriel gas truck shocks from Auto Zone on the back of my truck. They have 12.5" of travel and were only $20 each. They seem to work just fine and for the price you can't go wrong.

Will

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just put Gabriels from AutoZone in Michelle's K5, and am going to do them in my 78 (I like the quality AND price). Lifetime warranty as well.

19. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just put Gabriels from AutoZone in Michelle's K5,

[/ QUOTE ]

"I"...??...ahem...
    I believe it was we and I have the sore muscles to prove it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK Michelle did help. She brought me the beer..............................
    I didn't think 30 packs were that heavy!
    J/K I loosened the bolts (rusted big time) and she did everything else.