Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using SD shock towers or intersted in a write up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Aug 12, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just installed new shock mounts on our "light duty" 1 ton K5. It came to us with Jeep style shock mounts welded onto the frame (basically, just strap stock with a stud sticking up about 4" over the frame rail). Somehow /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif my son managed to rip one off driving on the street (hasn't been off road in "forever") and bent the other near 90*. Must have been curb wheeling at the mall... <sigh>

Anyway, I got a pair of cast steel SD shock towers and mounted them up last night. I must say I like them MUCH better than the stamped steel Ford towers that have become so popular. No idea what they would cost new, but I got these free from a 4x4 shop that was going to throw them out after installing a lift and shock loop on a new SD...

Anyone else done this?

2. BadDog

I know everyone is gonna holler for pics, so here ya go...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd be interested in a write up. Do you think these ones are better than the f-250 shock towers? I wonder how much they would cost new... what year of vehicle are they from? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. BadDog

I've got both. The old stamped steel on the truggy, and these on MobyDick (the 88 K5). I do think these are better. Very rigid, I think they are actually lighter though I have not been able to weigh them, an dall around they just seem (and look) better. I also like the pin orientation on these better. Another thing, the way they are made, and the way you have to mount them to do it easily, puts the shock more vertical much like the stock shock location, only about 5" above stock.

Price? Like I said, no idea, but it should be easy to check. Seems like I saw where these come off of something like 98 to current Super Duty trucks, but not sure...

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hmmm... if the price isn't to much more I might consider these instead of the other shock towers... depending on the price. I'll search google to see if I can find a price...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've been thinking I will be puting those on my K5 instead of the older style ford mounts.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I did a google search and all I found were ck5 posts, norcal posts, pirate posts, and some misc. stuff /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

how did you mount those??? measure , measure and measure some more? Did you use any of the holes in the frame from before??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BadDog

All new holes. I just positioned them where they would fit and keep all holes on the frame, while still fitting flat next to the dimple for the factory shock location, and the put the top about where I wanted. Little give and take to get the mount as vertical as possible, and the shock at the angle I wanted, and the top loop where I wanted, just playing around trying things. Eventually I decided I liked it where you see in the pics, used a scribe to mark the holes, checked the back side for clearance, and drilled. All hardware is 1/2 G8 anodized. The top shock loop was set ot extend the shock about 5.75" which is about 0.250 past where I figured it would wind up articulated and compressing the bump stop (which is 4.5" above the spring plate).

One OT thing I did notice, the PO put too big a drop pitman on it such that the spring will hit the drag link ball joint about 1" before it even touches the bump stop, much less compresses into it. Looks like I'll be making another pitman arm and drag link too... <sigh> Point is, anytime your under there doing stuff like this, just look around at clearances on all other related things too. I was really looking for anything that could impact shock positioning when I spotted this. Can't believe I didn't notice it before. Good thing I've not been seriously wheeling this thing or it would have suffered some serious damage…

[Edit]
    Also note, the new mounts give noticeably better control of the front end than the old setup did with the exact same type of shocks. The old setup had the shocks reclined much further back, which effectively reduces their "rate" while effectively extending their "travel". On this tuck I didn't need the travel, and we've had nose control "issues" since owning it (which created problems for my wife driving it). All I can say is that it's amazing the difference this new setup made! I can't wait to see what the Bilstein 5150s I'm planning to add will do for the ride!

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I've got a set for my truck, just haven't installed them....I bought them from ferd new so I'll see if I can find my receipt and let you all know. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they look nice, i searched an online ford parts site, and these towers are $21 over the f250 towers at $9.

one thing is the top is at the wrong position for flex, its gonna kill the bushings.

12. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    one thing is the top is at the wrong position for flex, its gonna kill the bushings.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not really. For anything other than the "52" front springs" and the like, the axle does not move that far under anyway, and certainly not before it runs out of shock. I've got maybe 5" up and 7" down before running out of shock. For the vast majority of trucks, and considering only 12" or so of shock travel, this will work just fine. In fact, I would say it's better than the other Ford tower based on my experience with the truggy. On extreme droop/compression, the axle moves more front to rear than side to side. Which makes sense when you consider the radius from front spring eye is much shorter with pivot fixed vs. the longer radius from side to side where the pivot has some flex/balance from the 2 sides fighting each other.

13. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Those turned out nice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif, now I see why you were saying the cast are better.

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see a write up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

All I did was follow the write up Steve did, just a little different.

Here's a pic...sorry there so big. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try and get some more pics.

16. BadDog

Looks almost identical to mine. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And what I really meant by "write up" was "addendum to the existing article". Mostly pics and how it fits on the frame and leads to a more vertical shock along with the implications of the more vertical shocks...

17. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be intersted in a write-up seeing as how I just scored a freeeee pair of 'em /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i was going to ask a month ago about the SD shock mounts.but i didn't want to hear it about a FURD. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif iwas washing mine and thought they are similar to the old towers. ( I COULD A BIN A CONTENDER) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. Stomper

$27.13ea A little over a year ago from the ferd dealer.

I've got the part number but I either left it on my kitchen counter this morning or it got burnt with the trash this morning /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'l look later /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

20. Stomper

Part Number F81Z18183AA
    Description BRKT-FRT SHK ABS-UPR