Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using stainless braided hose on a fuel injection application?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LoggieStyle, Jul 23, 2003.

1. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

The only place I could find locally that has fuel injection hose charges almost $6 a foot. If I am going to spend that much I'd like to use the cheaper, much cooler-looking stainless steel braided hose if it's possible. I don't see why it wouldn't work because a lot of the hose is made for fuel and handles high-pressure, however, many of the listings say not intended for use with fuel injected engines. Is this just a disclaimer or can anyone see a reason why there would be a problem?

Thanks,
    Logan

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My 89 p/u came factory with SS braided hose in the feed and the return lines. About 3-4 foot from the tank is steel like then into steel braided lines to the TB.... Check Summit or Jegs, they will have what you need.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you check your local hydraulic hose place?

Run steel line as much as you can (cheaper) then use the short sections of braided fuel line for the frame to engine/tank connections.

I *believe* braided steel fuel line (the "good stuff") isn't just rubber covered with steel braid. From what I recall, it can be steel outer braid, rubber inside that, and a teflon liner inside of that. I believe the stock oil cooler lines are the same way. The cheap stuff is typically just plain old rubber fuel line (non-high pressure) wrapped with steel braid.

I've got to come up with a few short sections of braided fuel line myself, haven't had a chance to check on the '93-ish Camaro's to see if the fittings are the same. You can access the sending unit from the trunk (easy!) so perhaps pulling those lines, if they are the right fittings, would be the easiest/cheapest solution.

4. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I second the local hose shops. The one in my area charges 1.00 per foot for 3/8" Gates 300 psi rubber line...that's about the same price as the cheap crap from the parts store.

5. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

I'll check into the hose shops in my area, a $1 a foot would be too good a deal to pass up. If I do end up going with the stainless braided though, do I have to use the expensive hose ends and adapters or will EFI hose clamps work just as well?

Logan

6. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Yes you will need some AN fittings and they aren't cheap. I wanted to go braided at first but it was going to cost around $250 for the hose and ends. Even if you run rubber line you are still going to need some adapter to do it right. If you are using TBI you need 14mm & 16mm x 1.5 to AN adapters. With that adapter the sky is the limit to what kind of end you want to run. I am using that adapter and then an AN6 push lock fitting for rubber hose for my return and pressure line down to the frame were I have steel line. For that I am going to use another push lock to connect to the hard line. I have seen people just slip the hose over the hard line but I think that eliminates the 300psi safety factor.