Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using the MSD 6A?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

Hi, i was wondering if anyone is running an MSD ingnition control. I was thinking about getting the MSD-6A or the 6AL and was wondering if there is any significant performance gains over stock /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. i am aware that the only diffrence between the two units is the rev-limiter(not sure what i would use it for). I allready have the blaster coil so thats a plus /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for any help provided

Thanks again, Marshall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you have an automatic just get the 6A
    i got a bit better mileage with mine. and power increase was noticable, but not much. kinda like what i got with my K&N. im going to put one back in my 74 as long as it will work with the TBI. i just need to find that out.

advice on installing it, tear your dash appart and mount it inside the dash area.
    Grant

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

always mount ignition modules as far from heat as possible, especially msd, they hate heat...

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I put my 6A in last summer along with a MSD super HEI kit.
    http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=11&s=141&p=1141&searchtype=ecat
    It improved throttle response, gas mileage, more power, and it allowed me to run a lower idle rpm. I've heard a lot of people who complain about the boxes giving out. This problem is due to fluctuating input voltage associated with using a lot of power accessories, or jump-starting a vehicle. MSD makes a fix. It is called a noise filter. You can buy one from Summit here:
    http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=11&s=141&p=1121&searchtype=ecat
    They basically even out the input voltage and eliminate the reliability issues. Confedneck was right about heat also. Keep them out of the engine compartment if possible, if not keep them as far away from the headers as possible. If you take care of them an MSD is a great ignition.

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a 6A and I love it. I got better mileage, throttle response, and efficiency. I put my own rubber feet on it to stop from vibration, and dont need a rev-limiter. That's the only difference between the 6A and the 6AL. I mounted it on the upper left of the firewall and have experianced no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

i have a 6AL in mine.......mounted on the inside firewall just behind the gloebox...using the 6500rpm limiter cube or chip or whatever you want to call it.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am using a 6AL and have had typically the same results as the previous posters. I have had mine mounted in this position for 3 years without problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

why didnt you go w/ the offroad version? b/c of money?

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Cost was the biggest factor. The 6AL comes with the same rubber mounts as the Offroad version. Like I said, no problems at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

how long is the wires leading to the battery.....do i need to get longer wire to mount inside the cab?

11. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I couldn't mount mine there because thats where my Dixie air horns are!! My wires run along the firewall to my main battery on the left front, about 6-8 feet I'd guess. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif