Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone using the new duramax diesels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by corradofreek, Mar 14, 2004.

1. corradofreek

corradofreek 1/2 ton status

just wondering if anyone has swapped on into their blazer yet? anyone know the fuel economy of them? local junk yard has a front end of a truck and i can get it for cheap. just wondering if it would be in my best interest to do that

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, my guess is that the computer programming and sensors on those motors are pretty extensive. I doubt it would be any easier than trying to swap in a late model vortec motor and that isn't easy at all. The motors are a little too new still to start seeing them being swapped in. Not enough wrecked Dmax HD's yet like what you found.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it'd be an absolute disaster to attempt such a thing, but if you could pull it off it'd be sweet.

If I had a month's worth of vacation at work and the parts to do it, I'd probably try it.

Then again, 500 ft. lbs would likely fry clutches and even transmissions/cases/driveshafts in a hurry most likely.

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah the only thing I would be worried about is bolting the tranny to the old t-case, and also the fuel system since you would need a new tank, lines and pump and all. Yeah I am swapping a new 6.0 HO vortec into my 91 fullsize as we speak and its not too difficult as long as your are familiar with all of the parts and how it all fits together, oh yeah, you also have to love wiring. Well good luck with that if you decide to go through with that. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I was almost considering a cummins swap myself.

Remington

5. ss396

ss396 Registered Member

Check out the TheDieselPage.com. They have an engine swap in progress (I think it's mostly done). You may need to be a member to see it, PM me and I can try to get more info for you.

You will need patience and money to do this swap. Make sure you get the computer, all the electronics and the entire wire harness computer forward. The only automatic trans that will stand up to it is the 5 speed Allison. You can get some hurking hp and torque number out of these engines. Stock is 320 hp, 520 ftlbs @ 1800 rpm. The torque curve stays at that level to redline @ 3,100.

The best fuel mileage I got on mine was 22 mpg running empty over a mountain pass at 60 mph, 7,000# truck.