Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using Voice over IP? The new Internet Telephone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 22, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinking of getting Vonage to try out. They have a $14.99 per month plan that doesn't really look bad at all.

I know in our area, Verizon is now running fibre directly to individual homes. My neighborhood was supposed to be done around now, and because of that, Cablevision/Optimum has been hammering their VoIP service like crazy.
    I have a cable modem with optimum right now, but I've heard nothing good about their shoddy phone service, not to mention I really dislike the company as a whole...

So anyway... I'd like to try out the service over my cablemodem while still keeping my existing landline. Maybe for a month or two. I also really don't like running many important utilities over 1 pipe.

Anyone using Vonage, or another Voice over IP service? Likes/dislikes?

Anyone using one that they'd get referral points from if I sign up through them? I know Vonage has a referral program, I was thinking of getting it and getting a second package for my wife's aunt in Washington, so they can stop running up my phone bill...

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't have any experience but completely agree that I don't like running everything through one line. Losing your cable and internet would be fine for a little bit but losing your phone too? I don't have a landline and doubt I will ever get one again. As long as I keep my cellphone charged its better than any landline in my book.

3. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

I have vonage and so far I like it. I don't use the phone much, so it is perfect plan for me. I am getting ready to setup my security system through Vonage. I think it will go well considering the comments about vonage that other users have made. Send me your email addy and I will send you my vonage refferal.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm using lingo. It is $19 a month for unlimited calling to the US, CA and Europe. I just got it and am in the testing phase but it seems to work pretty well. It has a referral thing where we both get $25 if you sign up.

Look it up at lingo.com and let me know if you want a referral. I'll keep you posted as to how well I like it.

*Sorry, I didn't notice someone had already offered a referral.*

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

we have vonage here, and i love it. i can talk all i want and never worry about the bill.

we did have a bad router and a few times (3 times in 4 months) the phone and internet didn't work for like 15 minutes (it was at 3 am and the like) and the network between the computers never worked. but after realizing what ti problem was, we called and got a new router in 2 days and all was the way it should be.

the only thing i don't like is we have to dial the area code to call the neighbor because they don't have any numbers in my area code. to anyone local its a long distance call to me because of that.

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I'm using Packet8. $20 a month, no more, and I can call the continental US and Canada for free. Great service, and I have never had a single issue with them. I can choose any area code I want in the US, and they are getting ready to open up some Canadian area codes. With all my calls to my fiancée in Canada, this has been a Godsend.

I went with VOIP because I was tired of paying $60 just to have a phone line to my house. (That's just basic charges, including taxes and stuff), so I went with Mediacom Cable Internet. I ended up paying a little more for Mediacom than what I was paying for DSL, but I sleep better knowing that Hellrizon isn't getting any of my money. In the end, going with Mediacom Cable and Internet runs me about $100/mo, and packet8 runs me $20. I was paying $60 for phone, $60 for DSL, and $65 for Satellite, so I saved myself a little money.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Interesting...

That's no biggie, we have to do that in NYC now anyway from any phone.

Interesting different services, the one with the $25 referral sounds good.

I think I will "take the plunge" into VoIP this week. But I'll shop around to see about keeping a copper pair in the house, though. I need to at least have dial-up internet available for work if cable goes down, and that can double as the backup phone. Hmmm, maybe I can expense it or write it off because of that... Actually, probably not, since they got me a wireless evdo card that I can use during an outage...

One major emergency benefit to VoIP that I see is the congestion. 9/11, it was near impossible to make a phone call, but I could IM my wife and surf the net without a problem.

One major emergency drawback, the blackout in 2003, the old landline phone system was the only utility that worked...