Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want engine disassembly pics?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Aug 22, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just thought of this. Started raining outside, so I'm kind of stuck on tearing the heads out.

I figure some people haven't done something like this yet, so perhaps they can see what it entails. I know most manuals have pictures, so perhaps there will be no desire for more.

Post up if you want any in particular. It's a 355, TPI, Vortec Heads, Steel Full Roller Rockers, Roller cam. So far I've got the plenum, runners, and base off. The power steering pump is unbolted, the alternator is unbolted as well. Headers still in place, but most of the bolts are out on them.

I've already got some fairly good pics of the Vortecs here: Vortecs pre-installation

Any other pictures wanted, let me know.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If want to see these pics . Its always great to see what has happenned in there . Disassembly of an engine is like a forensic scientist examining a crime scene /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah--I'm going to do an autopsy on my 250 six that died a few weeks ago when I get the newer motor swapped in--its going to be an attempted murder investigation!(I tried to kill it all the way home--even smoking like a chimney and rapping,I held it to the floor in low till it wouldnt go any faster,it still wouldnt pop!.Dont think it would run much longer though.) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Here's what I've got:

Not dial up friendly, and it will probably go down with just a few page views. It will come back the next day though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

light carnage

First pic showing oil in #6. I was wrong, it broke #6 *intake* stud, so extreme suction was pulling oil past the rings. I'm sure this is why the white smoke...didn't get warm until the collector, which wasn't hot enough to burn it.

Second pic shows the other two cylinders on that bank, obviously it was running rich. #6 intake port was still full of fuel, three weeks after last being run! It was pulling that back up into the plenum, sending the excess fuel into the other cylinders which explains why the pistons and spark plugs (most of them) were coated with carbon. (last pic) Engine and plugs have about 1000 miles on them.

4th pic shows how the stud broke off. Yes, it actually is broken off in a point, like a pencil. The other part of the stud is concave. Machinist said hes never seen anything like it, so I'm thinking it was just a fluke.

Not sure what more to take pictures of, thats as far down as I'm tearing it!

Should have heads back in the next couple of days, got the ARP studs already purchased, just have to get some head gaskets.