Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want some free land in Kansas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cmcracing, Mar 19, 2004.

1. cmcracing

cmcracing Registered Member

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Put me down for five lots. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

With the lots being 1/3 acre, I would need about 300 lots to move out there.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Kansas? no thanks..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

good phesant hunting out thataway, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, what a bummer that you'd have to live/build on it. I've been looking for a nice chunk of land somewhere else. Not sure if I wanna build on it or just have a personal private camping/hunting ground or just try to do my part to block urban sprawl.
    I'd be all over this if they weren't doing it to get people to live there.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

The key word here is "trying" to give away free lots. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

You see, the Ellsworth Economic Develop Committee was "given" some lots around the town from certain owners for "free" and the idea is to attract families, both in town and out of town, to move to Ellsworth and build new homes on the "free" lots.

Sounds too good to be true, huh? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It is. Read on:

Lately, up on the east part of the town where they "got rid of" around 14 lots, I'm hearing the new lot owners are giving the lot back to the EEDC as they are figuring out the "catch 22" situation with free lots. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

The "catch 22", from what I'm understanding is, the lots are not actually "free", but they are free, from tax values for the first year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Yep, after the first year of ownership, you have to start paying good old regular property tax on the "free" lot. The lots around E-town are averaging $15,000 to $20,000. No one wants free lots to build a home where they don't want to live.

There are also more free lots on the west part of town and no one wants to build over there because the towns housings are growing to the east and to build west would be like building a new home in the old part of town. Its like someone said when one newer home was on the market in the western side, "the house is a $130,000 home in a $13,000 neighborhood." The locations are all wrong for the free lots. You would not be able to get your resale value back.

Now there is more to the free lot "catch 22" situation that I have yet to hear and find out about. My bestmans wife is/was on the EEDC committee and I will find out from her what she knows. I've just been hearing left and right that too many of the new owners are giving the lots back to the Development Committee and saying "thanks, but no thanks."

Last I knew, there is 1 couple still planning to build a new home up on the eastern part of town. I'm still waiting to see how much longer they last on that decision. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

The free lots on the western part has that whole part of the town in an uproar because if people do build new homes over there, all the old homes property taxes will go up outrageously. Don't really make sense to raise taxes on older homes that are not worth much more than what the values are right now. Kind of dumb, and someone on the Committee really has their head up their a$$. And yes, I know who that person is and will not quote their name on the internet. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

So, as good as the deal sounds, its just too fishy to try and look into. Sure if the lots were really going to be free, I would have thrown my name into the hat for the drawing. But anyone with common sense and knowing who is on the Committee would just be wise to stay out of the whole deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck on 1/3 an acre! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck on 1/3 an acre! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The free land giveaways are in town, not the country. But there is good hunting around my parts. I know lots of people that come from all over the nation to hunt here for all sorts of wildlife. And no, we're not talking about bears, elk, etc. etc. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I might have to go visit you again, Westy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. thatK30guy

Why not move down here? You'd be closer to TX and CO for wheeling spots and homes are a lot cheaper here. You'd be able to find a damn good job in Salina which is a 35 mile drive, one way. The weather wouldn't be as bad as up in IL. Plus, I could use a wheeling buddy who shares the same interests as I do. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif