Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to explore Medicine Bow National Forest?? (wyoming)

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by Capman2k, May 27, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I got a cool map of the Medicine Bow National Forest, just west of Laramie, Wyoming... I want to explore some of the trails up there this summer, so I'm planning a wheeling trip to Bear Lake with the club I'm in (www.4x4ord.com) if anyone wants to join us. It won't be until July probably...

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4575962&e=395602&s=25
    That is the area, and shows the trail going to the lake... it is approximately 15 miles from the main road to the lake, and talking to someone I know who's been down the first part, but took the fork going South, it's pretty easy the first 500 yards, then you get into the trees and there are ruts, mud, rocks, and who knows what once the trail goes East.

I'll have more details as the trip gets closer, but here's what I have so far:
    Meet at 8 AM in Cheyenne or 9 AM in Laramie
    Fuel up in Saratoga (about 10-15 miles from the start of the trail)
    Go to either Bear Lake or Silver Run Lake depending on difficulty and what the group wants to do.
    Spend the night and head home the next day.

Since the lake is a good 30-40 miles from the nearest gas station, it might be a good idea to stock up on a couple fuel cans... And don't forget the recovery gear, you'll be wheeling with one, maybe two Exploders and maybe some other trucks from the 4x4ord club /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I might do a run in the area in June if anyone wants to, but I'm not sure yet... I might just wait till July or August and hit Bear Lake... I want to at least get my roof rack and a CB before I head out into the woods, maybe a lift kit...

Oh speaking of lift kits, the guy I talked to about the trail said he did it in his stock 79 Chevy pickup, but he did screw up his running boards... so if you're stock you shouldn't have a problem... If you're mega-modified it might be a little boring... Anyway, everyone is welcome to come /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I havent been up to Medicine Bow in years. Let us know what the details are later. There might be a couple of us interested in going. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Here's the official plan:

-Meet in Cheyenne at the Sinclair gas station at Little America Hotel (Exit 9 on I-25, Exit 358 on I-80), we will depart by 8:15 AM, Saturday July 12.

-Arrive in Laramie around 9-9:15 AM. We will stop at the Texaco on 3rd Street, just off Exit 313 on I-80. If you are travelling into town on Highway 287, it turns into 3rd Street after you go under I-80.

-We will get fuel or take a short break or whatever anyone needs to do before hitting the road. At the very latest, we will leave the station at about 10 AM, but I would guess closer to 9:30-9:45, so show up at around 9 if meeting in Laramie.

-We will then go through Laramie to get to Highway 130, which goes about 37 miles to Centennial. We should arrive at about 10:15 AM assuming we leave Laramie by 9:30. There, we will top off gas tanks, take another short break if neccessary, and continue on.

-We will get back on Highway 130 by about 10:30-10:45, and travel for approximately 15 miles to Road 33C, which is the trail. Again, I am anticipating a slightly challenging trail that can be done in a stock truck. Terrain will include mud, rocks, ruts, and possible tree navigation. The trail is about 15 miles long.

-We will arrive at Bear Lake whenever we get there, and set up camp. If we have time, which I assume we will, we can explore the trail leading to Silver Run Lake, less than a mile South, the trail is maybe 5 miles.

-We can decide that night when we need to get going to get home, and go from there. We'll take off sometime the morning of July 13, taking the same route we took to get there.

I'm not sure if a permit is needed to dig a fire pit, but I'll check if anyone wants to have a fire (usually a nice thing).

We can either be on our own for food, or decide on something for the entire group and pick something up in Laramie with everyone helping out with the bill, let me know how we want to do that.

Make sure you have enough fuel to do it all, 30 miles is kinda far to be stuck out of gas. I just picked up 2 5 gallon jerry cans that I'll fill up just in case.

That's all. If you want to go, let me know, the more the better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Well I only have 2 people planning to come including myself... Anyone from here gonna join in?

I'm gonna go ahead and say you're on your own for food unless someone is an excellent cook and wants to use their abilities to feed however many people show... So unless someone offers, bring your own food...

Also, if you have a CB, great... if you have an extra, bring it...

Those of you planning to come, please let me know what kind of recovery gear you have so we know what we have and don't have...

Anyone is welcome to join us, just let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, well, since it is a few days later, I want to see PICS! Othewise, I will personally fly out there next time just to ride shotgun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I do cook rather well, so... hehe

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

you still have time! just gotta be here by the 12th! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif