Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to go wheeling in Iowa?

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jan 26, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I know of 2 great spots. One is in Castana IA and one is in Solon IA. The one in Castana is privately owned and has lodge w/campground..like $20 a day. The one in Solon is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and is free, no lodging..ect. I will not have my rig done until the weather gets warmer (anything over 25 degrees). There are easy trails and difficult trails at both places. Castana has 1500 acres and Solon has 300 acres.

Pics can be seen at www.ci4wi.org in the pictures section of castana.

Solon (otherwise known as 600 acres) is the home of the trailhogs jeep club you can see some pics at www.trailhogsjeepclub.com/

Other shots of 600 acres are at the jeep owners club site www.jocci.com/

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Brent,

That sounds good to me. I could make a trip to Solon sometime. I couldnt find Castana on the map I have, where is it near? I would have to wait till after the Spring run because of projects on the Blazer.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Its a little town. Some of the trails require a winch but what they dont know wont hurt them....

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

(without looking at the distance from me) I'll say that I too would like to hit a run with a few MWK5T folks out there in Iowa! Sounds like fun (DUH), and I'd get the chance to meet you Brent!

How's your rig coming nowadays?

-Dan

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Its 99.5% done. I just got the tranny lines and some other odds and ends in from LMC today. thebigdaddyof2 sent me the wiring for the starter (BIG THANKS!!) and it showed yesterday. Just waiting on my X-over steering arm from Jarvis Knife works and some other po-putt stuff then It will RUN!!!

I think I could actually finish it for under $1000 at this point!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Any idea what the MIOBI schedule is for this year? I need to get a hold of Merle to find out about Howiepalooza. That would be a good time for a CK5 overthrow.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am going to join MIOBI after I get my rig running 100%. Should be next month. Howie goes to the CI4WI meetings and I have been talking to him about making me a cage...Ill see whats going on with them.

I know they are all going to Disney in May...

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

These groups you guys are referring to...they wouldn't by chance be the Dodge boys from Wisconsin/Mich area, would they?
    Neil, Shagz and I were fortunate to meet Big Al, Barney and others at Diz last March.....WHAT A RIOT!!

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

No, these guys are all here in Iowa. But still a riot any way.

10. Mudzer

"Hey Barney... It's the guys... from the F#@%!^ Kay Five Thang - Man..." /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They were a hoot. I really like Dean's version of the Disney Video! Shows those guys going through pits that would swallow a school bus!

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Barney does hang w/MIOBI. He hurt the mill at disney, so he was spectating when I met him in April. He was telling stories about the guy w/Quagmiere (SP?)Chevy that was in TTC a few yrs ago. Barney is one of a kind (Hopefully) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Would this be the same Barney? [​IMG]

13. thebigdaddyof2

Yep, that's Barney alright. You don't by chance have a pic of Big AL, do you??? Maybe a pic of his white Dodge truck on the back of his white, heavily-modified "school bus-RV thing", do you??? That thing gets 4 miles to the gallon you know....

14. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I'll have to check the MIOBI web site and the Central IA 4 wheeler's. That is where I got the one of Barney.

15. Mudzer

That is definately Barney! Those guys standing around laughing look to be "da crew" who ran with him. Man, what a hoot. Where did you snap that pic? If you see him anytime soon, tell him the guys from the K5 Thing say Hey!

I believe the comment about them tearing up the motor in Disney. These guys attack anything with a vengance. We heard them tell stories about making it through pits the size of the moon and straight up hills.

16. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I didn't take the pic. That was when I met him though. It was down at "Howiepalooza" at the Make It Or Break It grounds. Howiepalooza is usually the end of April. 3 days of wheeling, band, hog roast. Canned food donation for the local food shelters to get in. They got some local TV coverage last year.

17. thebigdaddyof2

Yep, I saw Big Al as he was being towed out of the woods at Diz. He mentioned how they tore it up in a mud pit and he lost the bottom end in his 440.

Hey, will you keep us informed about the Howiepalooza????

BTW, I think we have officially hijacked this thread???
    Sorry....It's "all good" though.

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Funny you should ask. Saw Howie today at a swap meet in Des Moines. He is working on details. MIGHT have it in Ft Dodge, IA. A couple years ago, they had a CORR race at an old strip mine. He is thinking about having it there. Better camping/shower facilities. Will post more as I know.

Also saw the infamous Barney. He said to tell you guys HI.

19. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BTW, I think we have officially hijacked this thread???
    Sorry....It's "all good" though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its only good if everyone comes and wrenches on my rig next weekend so I can make it to the spring thing! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

20. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Let me know. Maybe I can get out to play. If not, once you get it mobile, head on over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif