Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to help a dumbass install a 203 chain!!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by chevyfumes, Aug 1, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm escared, if not what else do I need besides the chain, that will have to be replaced just from digging that far into the case. I mean I have to crack the thing in half don't I ..../forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Anybody... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'd be up for the challenge, except I HAVE to take to my wife out to diner saturday (or i'm in the doghouse) and sunday I'm going to attempt to install my bodylift.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'd help if you were closer.. you in ca right???

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif I wish I could find the flip off face right now you fawker... hehehehehe LOL

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

He's in Vancouver, WA.

I'm out of town right now in lovely Tyler Texas........106 heat index. How do these people stand this crap heat?

Weekend I have to go down to Napa and play in a customer golf tournament.........sorry can't help ya fumes.

Oh, and Rob.................please no more thong talk. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My Haines book actually has a really good walk through on what to do if ya wanna borrow it.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've got the haynes manual...
    i'm just a little scared thats alll..... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Look at it this way dude...even if you bodger it up beyond any hope of making it work again, 203's are cheap and easy to find. The worst you'll do is learn something and have to spend an extra $50 for another 203. The best you'll do is complete the repair...and have something to be proud of!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have a spare open 203 sitting in the back of my sub, what do you need to know...it doesn't have the part-time kit in it though

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can't even get the stupid output shaft housing off the fawkin thing.... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

From what it looks like to me is that all you have to do is unbolt it from the main box, i know that the speedo gear has to be disconnected...there might be a ring or keeper holding something to the shaft...but like i said, my spare is already torn apart...got it from kennyw (minus the range box).

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I got it off it was just stuck on there ,I had to beat the thing for 20 min. and pry on it w/ a chisle...
    Now whats even more confusing is the t case aready has the part time kit installed on it so that means I just have to put the chain on and hope like hell that it was the only problem. When the hubs are free the front drive line still tuns WTF, w/ the part time kit in it should't do that right, there is something horrably wrong w/ my case.... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

might be that the old kit was installed wrong...i'd still put the new kit in also.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think they, didn't install the cvorrect spacer. Instructions read... 7. On 1973and early 74 models (mine says on the case 4/12/74 sounds early to me), remove the spacer from shaft and replace with later model (74-80) spacer.
    New question , How in the hell do you disengage the front output shaft from the chain? I unbolted the front plate( behind the front yoke) from the case and got it to move out about an 1" but thats it WTF.... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

brb...going to look at mine.

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Now this is just a guess, but it looks like all you have to do is take the nut off the front yoke and remove the yoke, then you should be able to pull that front cover off.

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah I figured it out but that damn nut wont come off the yoke.... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you need to put some sort of strap around the yoke to hold it from spinning so you can get the nut off.

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've got a block of wood between the yoke and the frame and that sucker still wont budge, on a lighter note I went to the dealer to get new gaskets and they don't make any of them anymore, they're all discontinued... LOL .... What next.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

on the gaskets, your guess is as good as mine, you may have to do some calling around or net surfing to find some...I didn't know about that part...you've got to get the nut off in order to get the yoke off....somehow.