Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to mate a NP205 behind their 700R4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batmanjr, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif <font color="red">Subject says it All!</font color> /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Adapters For Sale
    /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I just called advance adapters last week about this same thing and they told me it was an actual adapter that fit between the 700r4 and the 205. I would be pissed beyond belief if a shaft showed up and I had to have a tranny shop install it /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ! The guy didnt sound like he knew what he was doing...he was looking on a computer.

My one question is can the tailshaft be shortened with it still in the transmission? If not the labor for the tranny shop removing the shaft...then the machine shop milling it down...then the tranny shop re installing it would be expensive. If a person could shorten the shaft themselves this would be great and I would be interested.

Brent

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Mouse,
    Here is AA price sheet:
    50-6802 TH350 X JEEP NP241 23T (AX15) .............................................. $478.10
    <font color="red">50-6900 700R-4 SHORT 4WD OUTPUT SHAFT ..................................... $170.75</font color>
    50-6901 700R-4 X NP208 T/C (REPL.TH400) ........................................... $478.10
    Here is the page I found that on:
    Advance Adapter's Pricing
    In order to shorten the shaft...
    I have tried this with a 465 32 spline shaft and the problem is that the shaft is narower behind the splines and as soon as they cut the shaft off, they have nothing to cut the splines into. You can't cut it in the middle due to the torgue on the shaft and welding it wouldn't hold worth crap. The only answer to making the shaft shorter is by making an intirely new shaft that is 2 1/8 inches shorter. Then you have to completely tear down your transmission and install it. I hate automatics and won't get that far down into one cause I ain't got that kind of patience, therfore I have to pay someone to put the shaft into an automatic which means more $$$$ A standard is different and I've already bean there. This adapter of mine lengthens your drivetrain by 2 inches but keeps you from having to completely tear down your 700. I also have a printed catolog from AA, and it also states that the 50-6900 is an output shaft and not a spacer. Even if they changed it to a spacer, mine is still cheaper and deos the same thing. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well lengthening the drivetrain by two inches means at least one new driveshaft which pretty much eliminates the savings you're talking about. I know that I don't need a worse rear driveshaft angle.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

chances are your drivetrain would be changing with swapping in a different case anyway so it probably washes out even $$

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Replacing a 350 with a 700r even with AA's adapter requires driveshaft mods. With his spacer you A.) Don't have to tear down the tranny and B.) You don't have the front driveshaft clearance problems with the tranny pan. I had to modify my tranny pan (cut and weld in a patch) to clear my front driveshaft when using AA's adapter to mate my 700 with my 205.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

absolutely phenomenal 205 write up.
    get it moved to the tech reports as soon as it is done.
    where do you get the toes shown in the necesary tools picture?

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Leadfoot,
    Do you have any pictures of the AA adapter? I would like to see exactly what you got vs. what I'm making! Thanks!

9. Leadfoot

It's already in the transmission. All it is, is an output shaft that is shorter but has full length splines.

10. Leadfoot

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Those actually came free with every novice taking pictures /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I got lots of those in my pics as well /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Leadfoot

Worst part is I took a couple of well TIMED pics (of the disassembly procedure from a tech aspect), but my fingertips made an UNTIMELY appearance and either blocked the entire shot or made it too blurry /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

I borrowed my sisters digital camera (brand new) which is about the size of those disposable cameras (small), and was trying to keep my grubby hands from getting grease/grime on it (and keep it from slipping out of my hands), so the picture quality is not the best, but I tried /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Hopefully someday I will get my own and won't have to worry about it as much. I just replaced all bearings, seals, balljoints, u-joints, brakes shoes (rear), e-brake cables (rear), self adjusters and spring/hardware kits (rear), rear flex line, and rear hard-lines, left the front brakes alone, replaced the draglink and adjuster sleeve, tie-rod and adjuster sleeve, locking hubs, and steering stabilizer on the 78 I bought a few months back and wished I had a (or her) digital camera. That would have made for one heck of a tech article. Problem is I still have to get in gear and get the 205 one finished (I finished the work back in March) /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

After next weeks inspection is over I should have plenty of time.....

P.S. You have some great tech/pictorials on your site. You may want to think of having Steve post a link or create a folder on here. I know many people have been pointed your way for certain information in the past......

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Well All,
    The search has come to a halt and the adapter issue is over. Thanks to a good friend on this site, I was given some really helpful information on how to find a <font color="red"> Pre-Made </font color> adapter.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif It was not to my knowledge that anyone had made such a thing and to that comment, It even isn't made for it. <font color="#666666"> But It Works! </font color> Here it is:
    700R4 To 205 Adapter
    And here is where to get it from:
    <font color="red"> A&amp;Reds Trans. Parts
    816-483-7337
    part number 7Q35A </font color>
    It cost me $65 shipped to my door....
    <font color="blue"> Enjoy! </font color> /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Leadfoot

Sweet, Thanks for the update!