Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to rate some beads?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by ARAMP1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I’m taking a welding class to get my state certification. Here are a couple steps that I’ve done. The first is a pad of overlapping beads, welded horizontal with E6013 rod using DCEN and the second is a three bead fillet weld with E6010 rod using DCEP. That is the joint is first welded at a 45 degree angle and then there are two more beads that overlap the first one.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Welding 1.JPG

Welding 2.JPG

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

not as easy as some guys make it look huh?

Constructive criticism: Plan each bead before striking the arc, make sure you are in a comfortable position that will stay comfortable for farther than the rod will go. Nothing worse than getting an elbow jammed up into your ribs in the middle of a bead. There is nothing wrong with using a 'rest' or leaning an elbow on something to steady yourself.

For any rod that needs manipulating try a 1-2 count in your head while doing it (like a metronome) and concentrate on moving the same distance each time.

For 6013 I personally don't manipulate the puddle any. Just a straight drag...

Keep in mind that as the rod burns and gets shorter it'll deposit the filler material at a faster rate, kinda like someone slowly turning the machine up as you're welding.

BTW, your top pic is upside down. :)

Rene

3. ARAMP1

Damn, you're good! I didn't even notice.

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

WOW! I wanna learn to weld but my friend is too busy to teach me. I may just take a crash coarse while im doing my 1ton swap.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

TRustyK5 is right on the money. looks like your traverse feed is inconsistant. you can see the weld crests get long then short. with a straight drag you wont get that, it will be a smooth as butter weld. keep practicing you will progress fast. good job.

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Heck that looks like pretty good welds to me since your just started out recently. One thing I found out and has been confirmed by other welders I know is that the best and quickest way to perfect straight line welding is to pick up some round tubing and start welding up tubing joints like 45* or 90* or stuff like that. I did that a few times with some round tubing and then went back to finish some angle iron work and it was like night and day. Keep it up bro.

Remington

7. ARAMP1

Well...I really didn't just start out. But, it has been about 10-12 years since I've welded anything.

Back in highschool, I worked for my dad's construction company and I welded a lot of rebar and such. Nothing that ever had to look pretty. I got the quick, "here's how to turn it on, hold the stick here and don't look at the light" instructions and that was it. The cool thing about taking the class is that they go a little bit into the theory of which rod to use, what type of bead to lay, etc. for each application. I'm also wanting to start into TIG too.

8. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

Im not very good with an arc welder, probably because all I ever use is a Mig...the sticks are saved for trail repairs (until one of the guys bought a ready welder)
    gabe