Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to show off their ALDL diagnostic skills?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Well it is my first time tearing a motor apart and putting it back together. I mis-adjusted a valve so I had to fix that, and I mixed up two of the spark plug wires (I need to go to bed earlier). Anyway, I got it running this morning and it ran perfectly. I drove it for a couple of miles and it started hesitating, then the check engine light came on. The code was 42 (Electronic Spark Timing). So I downloaded winaldl and logged the sensors while I drove around the block ( Excel File ). I guess I need to know how to test the ESC module before I drop $100 for a new one. If any of ya'll have any ideas I'm all ears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Also, does anyone know a good website that explains what all the sensors do and what their normal operating ranges would be?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Check and see if you can see if the WINALDL can see if the computer senses a knock. If it can take a wrench or ratchet and tap on the exhaust manifold or header above the starter and watch the knock sensor to see if it is seeing a knock. If it doesnt you either could have bad wiring, a bad knock sensor, a bad ESC. So check that first then go from there. O yeah check and make sure the Timing is set close to 0* as possible, and make sure all the knock sensor wiring is hooked up and check and make sure the little connector on the firewall is hooked up.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Code 42 is usually the pick up coil in the dist. Check it first.
    The hesitating at cruise and CEL are classic symptons of bad pickup coil. you have to pull the dist to change it.
    if you have a ohm meeter you can test it by puttig it between the green and white(yellow?) wires wires coming out of the pick up coil. Should be betwen 500-1500 ohms. If out of that range it is bad.Truck Shuld be warmed up when you do this test also.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, does anyone know a good website that explains what all the sensors do and what their normal operating ranges would be?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't know of a web site, but a factory service manual is an EXCELLENT source for that info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The Driveability and Emissions section will have everything you've ever wanted to know (and then some), including troubleshooting flow charts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Well, I just signed up for a year of alldata.com. They seem to have the info I need. Now I just need to spend some quality time with it.

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know of a web site, but a factory service manual is an EXCELLENT source for that info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The Driveability and Emissions section will have everything you've ever wanted to know (and then some), including troubleshooting flow charts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What year service manual? I have the manual for my 83, but it won't do me much good for EFI stuff. 1990 maybe?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need it for the year of the EFI system that you're using. An '83 manual will just have lots of info on Quadrajets. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've got an '87 TPI setup from a Corvette, so the '87 Corvette service manual is pretty handy to have around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif