Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone want to trade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by peacock, May 6, 2006.

1. peacock

peacock Registered Member

I've got a 82 4x4 Blazer, need a 2wd. I have a 2wd already hot rodded out, but the thing is, it got f@#ked up in the hurricane last year. Bought a 4wd to swap everything over but the frame and suspension parts are starting to rust out bad on the 2wd. I just figured I try here to see if anyone had any interest. I'm located in Louisiana if you didnt figure that out by the hurricane thing. Thanks

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Should be pretty easy to buy a 2wd pickup of any type, and just swap front suspensions. The frame rails are the same part number for both 2wd and 4x4

3. peacock

I was wondering if the 2wd parts would bolt to the 4wd frame.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

No. The framerails may be similar, but the 2WD frame has a big goofy IFS crossmember for the suspension to go to. Look at your differences since you have both trucks there. If you feel that you can figure out a way to make the IFS crossmember swap, then go for it. The steering crossmember is beefier on the 4WD too, don't know if it'd get in your way or not.

5. peacock

thanks

6. virgilh

virgilh 1/2 ton status

it can be done

unbolt all the 4wd crossmember spring mounts shackle mounts. and mark axle centerline reinstall the 2wd suspension, lining up the axle centerline mark holes for crossmember with a transfer punch ( one of the three bolts on the bottom of the frame rail will line up) remove the 2wd crossmember drill the above mentioned marked holes reinstall the 2wd suspension bolt it in install 2wd steering box ( measure back from axle centerline to center of sector shaft line idler arm up with sector shaft mark and drill holes install idler arm remove crossmember in front of the newly installed 2wd suspension ( the one where the proportioning valve sits) install the crossmember out of the 2wd remove front spring/ radiator support mount install 2wd one in its place. you will have to run new front brake lines for the calipers but in a nut shell thats how its done. ive got it down to a 6 hour job not including the sheetmetal removal on the front end. im going to do my 5th conversion in a couple of weeks if you like ill take pics to assist you in your process :D

7. peacock

Thank you very much, pics would be greatly appreciated. Someone told me today that it can be done, now I'm going to go for it.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the frame rails are identical. that "big goofy IFS crossmember" comes out with about 8 bolts.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That makes it easy then. I couldn't remember if the IFS crossmember was bolted or riveted. Or course on the 4WD models, I've seen engine crossmembers that were bolted, and some that were riveted. I don't know if that was a year break, or if it's a toss up. :dunno:

10. peacock

so i can pretty much bolt up the 2wd suspension to the 4wd frame. thanks for the help fellas.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yep, just dive in and have fun.