Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone want to weld up my 14 bolt Spiders?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a spare carrier and gears sitting in the garage and I need to get them welded up. Anyone want to help a brotha out here?

I'm willing to pay shipping and a little beer money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> PM KidJethro. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...just a guess here, but I think it would cost a small fortune to ship that carrier / gears. I think they weigh around 25lbs or something outrageous like that.

Can it be done just shipping the cross shaft, spiders, and side gears or does the welder need the whole thing?

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Not sure. If the welder needs the whole thing, can they just use half? Get everything in alignment, tack it, flip it and go from there?

I'm sure it will cost, but a detroit is $300 and I'm not willing to A) spend that or 2) live with it's finiky nature. I'd rather know what I've got. If I could find someone that would do a spool for a decent amount of money, I'd go that route. As it is, Cone doesn't know when he'll be doing them, if ever, and he was AFAIK the one doing the advertised spools that you saw in the mags, just selling them to different folks.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Kyle,
    I am going w/ Okiemuddog to DP's this weekend to pick up an engine for him, might be able to talk him into swingin' by. You got the welder? I've got my gear, just no welder.

John

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I hear ya on not spending the $$ on a detroit! My friend and I just welded my 14bolt up last night! I haven't put it back together yet...but I am excited to go try it out...instead of that fawking GOv Loc

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

NOW were talking. I've got the welder. It's a lincoln 110 mig, think it's up to the task? You will go within a mile and a half of my house on your way to DP's place. I may see about meeting you guys and Daniels to help out. I don't THINK I've got anything going this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif other than working my garden /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't weld em' w/ a 110 welder. I would use a GOOD wire feed or a large Arc welder. You are working w/ some relatively think and heavy steel and I think w/ a 110 wire feed you would have a hell of a time getting enought penatration and heat into the piece...not to mention the mess of the slag if you have flux core wire.
    We used an ESAB 250 and welded the sheet out of them!

9. SkulzNBonz

Yeah, to make a 110 work, the prep would take some time. Having to grind (w/ a die grinder), and the multiple passes to get the penetration necessary for both you and I to be comfortable w/ the weld strength would be massive. A nice 220 stick welder, or even a 110 that could handle some 1/8 6011, at least, would be up to the task. Mig, especially 110, just doesn't penetrate anything thicker than about 1/8"-3/16" very well. I do have access to some 400-600 amp machines at work.

John

10. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I used my lincoln 225amp arc welder with 7018 rods with the small thin size(brain fart I cannot think!)I preheated the spiders and cross shaft to about 400 degrees in my oven,then welded at about 75amps swiching to 85 in some spots.it came out really good,and I'm happy with the results
    remember the more heat the more it warps

11. SkulzNBonz

I didn't even think about pre-heating. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wouldn't want to run more than about 90-100 amps to weld them up. I am a die hard for 6011. It has less strength than 7018, but more elasticity from what I've seen. 7018 can be fickle unless in the hands of a true pro. 6011 is much more forgiving, for me at least. Then again, I haven't had the application to use much Low-hy.

John

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Can ya help me out?

I talked with D a little while ago, I'll prb be over there to help load that motor up on Saturday. If you can help me get this think welded, I will forever be in your debt /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, maybe I'll let you return favor spot me one day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KP

13. SkulzNBonz

Let's work somethin' out. I definately don't want to half ass it. I'll be talkin' to Krennen (Okiemuddog) tonight. We'll hook a brotha up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Lemme know. The carrier and all is sitting in my garage. I'm trying to make an apointment in the next few weeks to get my 14 gone through. It's leaking like a sieve /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least it's not a major rush /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Any help man would be GREAT!!!

Thanks

You still got my #? If not, I'll PM my cell to you...

15. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    7018 can be fickle unless in the hands of a true pro.

[/ QUOTE ]
    by far am I a pro,but it came out really good looking (no bogger welds here!)I have wheeled with it about 5 times,and its been driven on the street for about 50 miles (expired tags /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) but it seems to be holding up fine.I also welded a friends toyota 3rd member with 6011 so I'm whating to know who's will break first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

PM'd ya Kyle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think I've welded like 6 or 7 sets of 14b spiders. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif hehe, So I know the deal. Also, a 14b carrier minus ring gear only, weighs 36lbs. I know because I just shipped Gokartergo's carrier back to him a few weeks ago. It cost about $11 to send it from Grass Valley, CA to Hollister, CA using Fed Ex. Hollister and Grass Valley are only about 250 miles apart though. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif