Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone watch 'Dirty Jobs' tonight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

The last segment of the episode of 'Dirty Jobs' I watched tonight was on making biodiesel. I loved it! Now granted, the hobbyist who was making his own veggie fuel had his own complete refining and processing setup in his own garage, so he wasn't just taking the straight veggie oil and just filtering it. No, this guy was going along and adding in all the easily available additives needed to run his diesel powered vehicles 100% off of veggie, as well as run his home's oil heating system off of veggie as well. Not totally 'free', but the hobbyist had done the math and computed that with getting his restaraunt-fresh waste oil for free, his home refining costs had amounted to where he was paying $0.55 a gallon for his biodiesel for both powering his vehicles and heating his home. Still awesomely cheap! Cheap as gas was back when my parents were kids!

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I saw that. I've been wondering about the feasibility of that for my home oil burner...

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm glad the veggie oil fuel/biodiesel hobbyists are getting exposure like this. Hopefully now, until the infrastructure is set up nationwide, home refining waste veggie oil will catch on like wildfire and become the next major American hobby, as a way for us common Americans to send a big '**** you' and 'flipoff' to the big oil companies and OPEC.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Figures...

The one night in 3 months my older brother calls,and they play an episode of "Dirty Jobs" I wanted to see....that figures! :doah: :angry1: :angry1: ..

He lives 80 miles away,so we talked at least an hour to catch up on all thats happened since I saw him last..so I missed it,and they probably wont repeat it tonite either.. :mad: ...

I'm a bit skeptical of all this "biodiesel" stuff..for one thing,its not "free"--not here anyway--all resturaunts have to keep track of how much oil comes in,and where it goes when it leaves..Joe Shmoe can't just walk off with it and dump it in his truck or oil burner--they have licenced contractors to haul it away,and they have to keep a log of how much is disposed of,and where it goes..I looked into getting some locally,its not as easy as they make it sound..

Now if they could use drain oil ,I could probably get all I want of that--heck,just changing my own oil in 3 vehicles would nearly fill my tank alone..I think gas stations can "lose" more oil than a resturaunt around here,and nobody notices..no one seems to be counting the gallons when they take it away.. :confused:

They will probably jack up the price of cooking oil when they hear its possible to run engines and furnaces on it....I wonder if in an emergency,you could go into a Stop&Shop and buy a gallon or two of "Mazzolla" or Olive Oil and make it home on that instead of diesel?? :thinking: --I dont want to volunteer my truck to see if it works though.
    :blush:

I would have liked to seen the show though..I'd like to see just how involved it is making biodiesel..if its anything like making your own alcohol fuels(I bought the book on that!)..no thanks--to do that,you need to build a still,get a federal permit,quit your job,and spend 3 days boiling mash and work like hell,just to get a tank of fuel..its not free,and you have to modify the carb to run it,and cold weather starting sucks..and you get less MPG too!..yea,that was worth all that.. :tongue1: :screwy:

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Buying a straight new gallon or two of Mazzola or Olive Oil and pouring it straight in would probably work, since it's fresh oil and doesn't contain the waste food junk that's the reason you have to refine and filter waste oil in the first place.

But for doing a full conversion, you'd have to replace your natural rubber fuel lines running from the lift pump to the injector pump with synthetic fuel lines because I learned during the 'Dirty Jobs' episode that veggie oil is also a solvent and will dissolve away normal rubber fuel lines.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I also saw it on last night, so they may rerun it again soon...

I think a container of mazzola would have to be emergency only, though... I'd guess it costs more per gallon (but I don't know, I've never used it).
    I'd also read there are other ways to refine it that are much less involved than what they did on dirty jobs, but require some light mods to the vehicle, like tank preheating to thin it out.

I'd also heard that newer diesels don't need the fuel lines or any modifications to run biodiesel.
    My heating oil lines are all copper, so I wonder if I'd have to change anything except maybe the nozzle...

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

That's right. Making your own fuel from waste cooking oil doesn't require such an elaborate setup as seen on 'Dirty Jobs'. That guy did that I think because he wanted to be able to pour his veggie straight into the tank of his vehicles without any mods to the vehicles whatsoever.

Greasel.com's system adds several prefilters to the vehicle, and requires a separate tank and switching system because their system has you starting up the vehicle on normal diesel, switching to veggie for normal driving, and switching back to normal diesel when you shut-off the engine. But they have several tank options, from separate plastic tanks for the veggie, to systems that convert the vehicle's stock normal diesel tank into the veggie tank while adding a small auxiliary tank where the normal diesel used for start-ups and shut-downs is stored.

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

it is illegal here in CA to transport ANY used cooking oil :mad:

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Why? The eco-nazi's treat it as a hazardous material or something?

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That would be a true statement it is Hazmat.

Ira

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

Let me guess, they defined it as a HazMat just simply because its flammable right? Or is there a specific public health threat they've identified in it via junk science? Gasoline's more dangerous! According to the NFR's hazard rating system, biodiesel ranks a 0 on health dangers (not a health hazard), 1 on flammability (slightly dangerous), and 0 on reactivity (not reactive), so I just don't get that.

Seems to me then that there must be a bunch of anti-veggie fuel/anti-biodiesel nazis there in California who are opposed to letting the average Joe just take waste veggie so he can run his diesel vehicle off it.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

There are just a lot of stupid rules here. We pulled some seaweed out of the water that was around our Submarine one time and walked to the other side of the pier and dropped it back in the water to let the tide pull it out. Well the EPA guy came down and told us that anything we took out is automatically hazmat and had to be disposed of as such. We are also not allowed to put fresh water into the harbour def dont see any logic behind that one.

Ira

13. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm going to ask the local state senator (member of my church) what North Carolina's specific rules now are pertaining to transporting waste veggie oil then. Hope they aren't ridiculous like California's are.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

More stupid "Hazardous waste" rules..read THIS..(RANT)

Yesterday,I got to our landfill with our trash..I had 3 barrels full of ashes and nails,staples,and screws from the wood stoves I was cleaning out,in preperation for the cold weather season.(and at least 1 more to go too!)--

.I pull up to the "Ashes" and "Hot Loads"( :haha: ) sign,and the attendant (I call him the "landfill Nazi") comes running over,yelling "HEY!!--What are you dumping HERE??" -- I reply "Wood stove ashes,like the sign says"..

So he looks in the barrels,and says "Ohhh,noo--YOU cant dump THAT stuff here anymore!!--IT HAS WAY TOO MANY NAILS AND STEEL IN IT!--"THEY" DON"T ALLOW THAT ANYMORE"... :eek1:

So I ask him "WTF am I supposed to do with all this now--for years I have never had any problems dumpimg them here,now its a "big problem"???--WTF do I have to do,SIFT all the metal out of the ashes now???..ANYONE who burns wood always has a few nails or screws in it!! :mad:

"Well,YES basically!--WE CAN'T ACCEPT THEM LIKE THAT"...."You'll have to get at least "most"of the nails out!".. :mad:

So I said WTF am I paying $50 for a "dump sticker",and a dollar per bag I throw for,if everything I bring here is "Unnaceptable??"..I think the guy is just being a dickhead to me..must have a grudge or something-- :mad:

So I had to try and screen out "most" of the steel out of the ashes,and a nice 30mph breeze yesterday--ended up getting it in my eyes,all over me,in my mouth,all I could taste was ash! :mad: --I got about 1/2 a barrel sifted and I gave up..

I'm tempted to toss them into the river,or better yet,under the tires of the town trucks..and let THEM sweep up the mess..I tried doing it the legal,rightous way,and because I was honest,and told them what was in the barrels,now I'm F***** and cant dispose of them --if I'd said nothing,I could have tossed them right into the trash,and nobody would have known or cared!..looks like I'll have to find another way to dispose of them..

I was hoping sifting the nails out wouldn't be so messy and difficult,because I could sell them for scrap at the scrapyard,if the ashes weren't mixed in..I should stuffed them in the K20 I junked I guess..I need an electromagnet like the one on the crane at the scrapyard now.. :( ..I'm going to see if the guy there will let me leave them there..can't pollute that place any worse than it already is.. :rolleyes:

What do you guys have to put up with as far as trash disposal??--they are getting way too ANAL about it here,what you cant bring,now newspapers have to be separated from the bags you bring them in,magazines,--everything in separate dumpsters, etc..its like they want everthing delivered on a platter,so they cay stand around and do nothing--oh,BTW--its 5 bucks to junk a TV or monitor now,5 bucks PER TIRE,without rims!--and 30 bucks for an A/C or Refidgerator!.--and all the sellable scrap metal goes home with the employees..I'm in the wrong bussines... :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

In Kalifornia, White-Out is a hazardous material...

I'm not kidding.

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Do you have to have a Class B license to get a Hazmat endorsement? If not why not go get it...I dont know much about the California License System, but it was rather simple to get my hazmat when I got my CDL.