Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone wear a contact lens ? whats it like ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Aug 1, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have to get my right eye(nearsighted, lazy) corrected soon, its getting pretty bad,

anyways whats it like to wear a lens ?

any tips recommendations info to know before going to optomologist(in about a week)

i kinda dont like the idea, but it has to be way better than having really rotted inwards(into gums) wisdom teeth cut/drilled out of gums/bone

in which i need to have done too, soon asap... :/

thanks for anything

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

At first they're a little ackward. Make sure you ease into wearing them - as in don't wear them for 16 hours the first day. Wear for 4 hours day 1 & 2, 6 hours on 3 & 4, 8 on 5 & 6, etc.

Also budget an extra hour or 2 in the morning to get the suckers in :D

After you get the hang of it, you won't know they're there until the end of the day when they get dry or if you've been using a computer for a long time.

What helped me a little when I first got them, is before, I practiced touching my eye. Wash your hands well and then use your right index finger and thumb to hold your eyelids open and touch your eyeball lightly with your left index finger. Do this a few times on each eye a couple times a day and it should get you used to the feeling and make getting them in and out the first few days a lot easier.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Mike said it well.

Gather all your patience-it takes time. If you can't get it in, in 15 minutes, take a break. YYou dont want to hurt your eye. Always have clean hands-wash with soap.

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Or when your working underneath the K5 and get some exhaust crud in your eye...

I wore hard lenses for 17 years. Like everyone else said, once you get used to it, they are a piece of cake. I could put them in or take them out in about 15 seconds. Had laser surgery about 6 years ago and it was worth every penny.

Scott

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Mike said it well.

I like them. I took a little bit to get used to them, but I would rather have them than glasses. I also have a lazy eye. I have lenses for an astigmatism. They work pretty good for me, and I have a BAD one. My eye dang near turns completely around and looks at my brain if I try to read small print :haha:

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah! Forgot about that. I never wear contacts while working on vehicles.

Also, don't wear them while wakeboarding behind a boat. One crash and they become fish food. Don't ask me how I know. :D

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I didn't wear contacts until I got to college. Everyone convinced me that having contacts in dirty environments was bad. It's not true.

I wear my Acuvue disposables for a month at a time on average. I take them out every night. If I don't take them out every night I get like 4 days out of them before they're either too dirty or torn. Not to mention after around 18-19 hours they start to bother me. It's good to take them out. It allows the barnicles on the contacts to dissolve and allows your eyes to heal the ridges caused by the edge of the contacts.

I hold my eyelid open with my left hand (pinky finger) and use my right index finger to put my contacts in. I scrub using my right middle finger in the palm of my left hand. I remove them using my right pinky finger.

Removing them is the hard part. It usually takes me less than two minutes to put them in (including washing). Taking them out takes a while because they get stuck to my eyeballs so I have to scrape them off.

The first thing you'll notice is that you have to blink a lot more. In fact, you'll have to blink 2-3 times more often than with glasses and about twice as much as no corrective lenses. You'll have to blink so often that you'll be tired of blinking.

As far as getting crap in your eyes... it's no different than if you wear no glasses. The only time you have to worry about it is if you get crap under the contact which is damn near impossible. I've never had it happen in five years and I've had a lot of **** in my eyes.

Don't handle your contacts with dirty hands. If you wash the contacts with abrasives in your hand, on your contact, or on your finger it will scratch the lense and either make it impossible to see out of or cause it to tear.

Night driving alone is reason enough for contacts. 10000000000000x better than the least scratched glasses.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have contacts and don't even know they're in. About 30 seconds to put both in and 10 seconds to remove both. I leave mine in for 2 weeks at a time then take them out for a day, then back in for two more weeks. Wash your hands good before putting them in, and use a towel without much lint on it or you will get fuzzies on your contacts. Don't rub your eyes very hard or they may fold in half like a taco... this hurts.

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Glasses all the way baby!

Only problem is it's a bit hard to find some stylin' shades... :doah:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i hate mine. the frames always break, and my lenses are about shot. i'll be getting contacts soon. i'll have to get into the habit of wearing safety glasses at work though.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I cant stand contacts...

Give me glasses anyday--I tried using them for 2 days,and it was the worst 2 days of my eyes life!..I had no luck getting them in and out without poking my eyes,and all they did was water the whole time they were in..I couldn't see for S*** with them,with my eyes "crying" all the time!.. :mad:

Since my hands are nearly always a bit dirty,I found it to be a PITA to have to find a sink and wash up every time you needed to put them in or take them out..I lost one down the sink drain the second day,after being late for work the day before,fartin around trying to get the damm thing in my eyes! :doah: that was the last straw for me!

I said never again!---I'm no fan of eyeglasses either,but I've worn them since I was 6,and feel naked without them...contacts might be better for some folks,but after mine fell down the sink drain,I called my optometrist,and told him I wanted new glasses,and F%$* those stupid contacts,soft,hard,whatever--they ALL suck as far as I'm concerned!--I wasted 200 bucks trying them..glasses are bad enough!.. :mad: :crazy:

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I go a whole year on $100 worth of contacts.

I like 'em. They take getting used to. If you put them in backwards it'll irritate your eye and cause them to water non-stop.

13. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been wearing soft contacts for 17 years and disposables for a little over 10 years. I take 'em out when they bother me, usually about once a month. Once I put 'em in I can't even tell they're there. Luckily I have the same prescription in both eyes so I can't get them confused.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wear contacts, too. They're wayyy better than glasses, imo, much greater range of vision, and I think they have a clearer image since they cover the iris, not just mostly cover it.

I wear disposables and take them out every night, but I'm thinking of trying to go a few days with them in, and see if I can start doing that. I can also go a year on $100 of contacts.

I was just wondering the other day... How come when I look in a mirror without my contacts, everything in the mirror that would be distant to me is blurry? Shouldn't I be able to see everything in the mirror clear if the mirror is in my uncorrected clear vision range? Wouldn't looking at the mirror be the same as looking at a painting on a wall, so every image in it should appear painted on it? Instead, the depth is present and I still can't see far away stuff...

BTW, I believe you're around 27, right? Believe it or not, your vision may improve. My eye doctor shocked me recently when he said my vision is better today than it was several years ago...

15. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm 34 now and my vision has gotten better over the years. I started out a +3.75 on the left and a +3.50 on the right. Now I have +3.00 in both eyes. I forgot to mention in my other post that I just switched to the new extended wear disposables.