Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone weld in a safety bead on a 16.5 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smp, Sep 28, 2001.

1. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about welding in a inner safety bead on a 16.5 steel wheel so i can air down. Has anyone tried this yet? My only concern would be warping the wheel from the heat.

[​IMG] Sometimes you feel like a nut [​IMG]

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Warping would be a problem and I would expect them to be a nightmare to balance.

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

With the stiffness of a 16.5 tire bead area, I imagine you could get away with a stitch-weld every 6 inches or so and get awesome hold. Maybe welds about 1 inch long. Was a tire-buster for a lotta years...kinda wondering how tough it would be to get a tire mounted after that, though. Might want to experiment with just one to start. You might also look into rubber cement or bead sealing compounds...just to keep trail dirt out of beads.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why not just wait until your tires wear out and go with 16s?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Try the weld, you might be coming up with the next trend.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after 270 Posts!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RedDwarf on 09/28/01 10:59 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

16.5"s have the advantage of a wider range of sizes and much wider availability in tires. This could be the best idea since sliced bread!!

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Or you could get 15s and have the availibility of 16.5s with the bead holding abilitys of 16s and be done with it.

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Very true - I'm thinking for one tons in particular though - without caliper grinding.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Be aware that this is one of the reasons that the IMCA circle track association allows right rear beadlock wheels now. Racers were getting into monster "safety beads" on the right rear to try to get the tire to stay on at low pressures and were exploding tires trying to seat them. Turns out it's safer to let everyone run beadlocks on the one corner of the car! Moral of the story, be careful with it if you try.....
    you can be pretty conservative with the inner bead also, I have no lock on the inside and haven't had a problem yet. i've run down to 5-6psi which isn't practical for anything but snow anyway without losing the inside bead. the outer seems to be the important one by a long shot.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com&gt;www.offroaddesign.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Stephen on 10/01/01 10:55 PM.</FONT></P>

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

This summer we had a club from Northern Ohio come down and ride with us. One guy had a fullsize Bronco with dual Dana 60's and 16.5" rims w/ 38.5" Swamper SX's. He had taken some steel rod, bent into a circle and welded around the outer lip of the rim. I didn't get the chance to get into details but I think he also welded something on the inside for a safety lip. He said he had been trying to run low pressures for rock crawling but the tires were slipping off the beads left and right and he decided to do something about it. During the trailride, the stiff SX's had a huge bulge in them so he couldn't have been running more than maybe 10 lbs and never had any problems.