Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone welded a 14bff Gov-Lok?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TrcksR4ME, Jun 3, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would assume it is possible but wondering if it has been done with any success by anyone else. Anybody have any info on this, anything at all? TIA

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have welded one, Jethro style, and it works fine.

Take it apart, tack it together halfway inside the case, then make little welds at every contact point, install your ball of traction and you're good to go.

I put all the clutches back in just to take up the space even though they weren't doing anything.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... ball of traction ...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

cool, don't even know what it looks like inside a gov-lok, but since I drive the truck very seldon I might as well have the traction the times I do. How long have you runs yours like this?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine has a detroit in it (and is a trailer queen anyway). The one I welded up was a trail only vehicle that will never see the road.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

no biggie, mine is mostly driven off-road these days, though I have to drive it there. Not to worried about the negative aspects of street driving with it being a spool, as long as it holds up.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

As long as you weld it correctly you will break the axleshafts long before you break the carrier or your welds.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

We patched up Tim's (Butch - 4x4 Iron) this last week end. IIRC, he said had been beating on it for 7? years before it broke. He had welded the spiders and side gears together into the basket side of the carrier and left the side gear loose on the ring side to simplify alignment. And it is a Gov-Lock carrier. Anyway, after years of beating on it all that time, he finally sheared every single tooth off the side gear trying to get up the same waterfall I broke attempting. So, Saturday night we sat in the parking lot and dismantled that sucker, he borrowed a welder and welded what was left of the side gear to the rest of the mass of stuff, and as far as I know, finished the week end on it. However, he has a Detroit he's planning on installing ASAP (into a different carrier)...