Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone welded both front and rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Sep 1, 2005.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I just got done with my 5.13's and I welded the front D60 and the rear 14FF. I know this is not the "proper" way to lock them but it is all I can do right now. I plan on a ARB or electric for the front and will probably do that when I upgrade the axle shafts.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had any probs with the front welded and what I need to look out for (besides driving it locked on the street).

TIA

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My front is welded. Though I hevent even put the axle in the truck. It is a must that you have crossover and hydro assist, thats the only way it makes it doable.

3. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

found out about the hydro assist this weekend...I tapped my box just haven't got the ram and the lines yet.

4. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hey man hows it goin? i am welded front and rear and for the $$$$, well ya cant beat it. Ive owned rigs with detriots before and i cant see spending the money on one when it basically performs the same- except now that im twinsticked in the front i could disengage it and leave the hubs locked with no probs. but oh well. I am running full hydro- a steering upgrade is definetly required and i busted a 35spline inner which may have been due to the added stress. It works though. Later Ryan

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I have a mini spool up front (not welded, but the same efect) and have no steering upgrades, and I have NO PROBLEMS :D I love it! Cheep, better maners than a locker, and I can drive out of ANY rut in the trail ;)
    Only tip I have for ya is: when it will not turn as tight as U need, just stand on it :D :bow: It WILL turn hard and fast.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It would be a good idea to plumb in a cooler on your power steering system...you can use a tranny cooler and it just plumbs into the low pressure line, very easy :D Your power steering pump will thank you :waytogo:

7. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

That is a Damn good idea! I think I will do that this weekend :bow:

8. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

well im going to a welded front rear setup, 14 bolt ff rear and dana 44 with warn hubs... hubs seem easy to engage, im going with stock steering for now, then dana 60 with xover soon..

anyways the diff came welded to me.. im going with a square shaft, so u joints will be my weak point, just the way i like it

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like your in the same situation I am, except I will be welding my 44 soon. I just dont want to dump money into my 44 when I have a 60, it just needs hubs, rotors bearings etc.

10. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Welded front and rear and love it and the money I saved. On trails its amazing and easy, on rocks its more interesting but still easily tolerable when I look at what I saved. I wouldnt have done it though if I didnt have crossover and hydro. I will be adding the cooler tonight.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am thinking about welding my front 60 as I do not have the money for a detroit yet. I have crossover but no Hydro what are the cons for such a set up. I will have another set of internal gears to put in if I do not like the welded front.

Ira

12. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

im looking at runing stock steering until i have all the peices for the crossover

found flattops for 75cdn buck local

arms are 80us on ebay

tir rods will be cheap
    30us for tie rod threades sleeves

and i have the 2wd box

so i should have crossover soon