Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone wheeling with truck tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, May 24, 2003.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

OL14BLAZ has an awesome looking setup. We have a used truck tire place nearby with tires for $75 to $100 and truck rims from $20 and up. Seems like a inexpensive way to get tall tires without having to go wide or pay top $$$. Big question is how they work in the rocks and stuff. So is anybody using them on serious trails or rock crawling?

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

truck tires? you mean like big rigs or what? cuase if not...umm we all have trucks...what did you think we are running low profile toyo tires or something? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

LOL. Ok smart ass, I'm talking 10R20 or taller <font color="green"> TRUCK </font> tires kind of like what OL14BLAZ has, not the low profile LT tires on your rig. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

heheh... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

post a pic of his setup if you can find one...

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

there is a company making an adaptor to run 19.5, 20, and 22 inch semi rims. called a big wheel conversion or something like that. they are spendy, and if you want the alcoas from them even more expensive. now with a custom rim at 22 inches or so and the inexpensive tires it would be worth it. but the big wheel conversion that uses the 10 lug pattern is nice, and a grand later just for the adaptors.

i considdered running them, but just plan on ag tires.
    Grant

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Here you go:

[​IMG]

They are 12.5R20 Michelin XLs on 20x9 Staz Works beadlocks. The tires are right at 41" tall. I haven't had a chance to take them out on any trails, but hope to next weekend on the 31st. I will let you know how they do offroad.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

The company you are talking about, or one of the companies that does that, is Rickson Truck Accessories they make a whole new wheel that bolts on to your factory hub with no adapator. Pretty slick deal, not cheap though for the tires and wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow thats awesome!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Eric, that set up looks good. Have your forearms stopped aching from tightening all those bolts yet.

I was hoping a more guys were running truck tires and could say if they are worth the trouble or they are just not flexible enough for rock crawling. A 12.00R24 would be nice, about 48" diameter x 12-1/2" wide, lol. Grant has a good idea too, if I'm gonna cobble together some truck rims myself and slap em on the Jimmy at the trail head, then why not look at ag tires? Hmm...

10. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

My dad has been running them for 20 years. He just has regular wheel whit different centers welded in. he just got a free set of tires and wheels last week. [​IMG]

11. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

They are 12.5R20 Michelin XLs on 20x9 Staz Works beadlocks. The tires are right at 41" tall. I haven't had a chance to take them out on any trails, but hope to next weekend on the 31st. I will let you know how they do offroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

it looks very nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Eric, that set up looks good. Have your forearms stopped aching from tightening all those bolts yet

[/ QUOTE ]

The burning in them finally stopped the next day /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIt took about 2 to 2.5 hours per wheel to get them torqued down.

ramjet--thanks for the compliment, I'm very happy with the setup so far. Looks like I might get to go next weekend to try them offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric