Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone who has a non factory bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 12, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I want ANY pics of anyone who has a non factory bumper on the back of their truck, doesn't even have to be a K5. I just want some ideas, going to start designing mine. Can you guys think of anything else to add to it:
    spare tire
    CB antenna mount
    tow hooks
    class 3 hitch
    back up lights
    2 jerry cans
    Anything else? Please post any pics you have or e-mail them to me at dawson444@aol.com even if it isn't your rig or you don't know anything about it.
    PS- anyone have any more pics of the blazer of the month? I like that bumper alot. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't have any pics but you could make it into a air tank and don't use tow hooks use some D-shackles, much better IMO

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.metalheadfabrication.com/>http://www.metalheadfabrication.com/</a>. Mine is the Blue 86 Blazer. Also add a hi-lift jack and a shovel........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

When I said tow hooks I meant D shackles, thats what I used on the front. They will be hooked up to 1" thick steel, I don't think they will go anywhere. I might use it for an air tank, how much pressure do you think 2"x5" box steel could handle w/ a 1/4" thick wall? What about if lets say I was to get rear ended? BOOM!?!?! I left off the hi lift, will add it. I like the shovel I idea, but I will probably save that for my roof rack. Thanks guys, come on I know someone has some pics.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hit the link to my site in my sig for some pictures. Now my racks are my tail gate but you could easily add a pivot. My center secion is 3/4 inch plate where it bolts to the frame. These also have holes to use clevis shackles. The center deck is 3/16 plate. The ends are 4x4 inch box. I didn't bother to seal them for air tanks because I had to weld in blind nuts since the bumper ends weld over them. I already have 8 gallons of tanks on the truck (nurfs). Something that has been added since those pictures is a set of 2x2 inch up rights on the ends to protect the tail lights some.
    Now one thing I will warn you about. BOX around the frame horns with the bumper to add strength. Side pulls can bend the frame horns so the further up the frame you can go the better to limit the possiblility of bending the horns.
    I used a off the self Universal reciver hitch made by ACar. I flipped the draw bar upside down to get better clearence. The cross bar is the rear suport for the skid plate for my gas tank. The hitch also complets the bottom of boxing the horns.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

where the hell you going to put 2 jerry cans and a tire? now some guy wants you to add an air tank?
    ok. great ideas. jerry cans, front to back. not side to side. spare tire, air tank next to the tire, not anywhere near the gas. CB antenna, pic ax shovel, military amo can maybe. but that is a lot in a small space. and a few extra lights.
    Grant

i still dont know where it will all fit....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

give me about 2 days and i should have my tire carrier done. I wanted the option of putting my winch on the front and rear of my blazer so thats what i did. In each bumper there are 2 receiver holes that can accept a custom cradle i built for the winch. I made the tire carrier so it will swing over the winch. It is built and will hold the tire, just lacking the license plate holder, high lift, cb antanae, and back up light mounts. All easy but at the same time i am building a york bracket for my engine, so when i get frustrated with the york i work on the tire carrier since it's easier. The front bumper is also an air tank, and so are my rocker knockers. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[link]home.earthlink.net/~craigmoe/[/link]

Look under K-5 and you can see my bumper w/ spare tire mount .......I am adding another swing away on the other side for the Gas can or two......

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

<a target="_blank" href=http://home.earthlink.net/~craigmoe/>http://home.earthlink.net/~craigmoe/</a>

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....