Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone who tow thier Blazer on trailers...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Sep 4, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just curious what guys are using for thier tow vehicles when travelling to wheel. If I put my Jimmy on a flat trailer and hook her to a tow vehicle, what is the weight rating I need to tow it? I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 ton, 318 v8. The tow rating is 7200 lbs on the truck... is this enough to tow Thumper down to a K5 run somewhere?

Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Check and see if your area has a public scale so you'll know exactly what the blazer/trailer combo weighs. I'm towing my suburban to the Dixie Run at the end of Sept. and I had to do a few things to get the tow vehicle ready. My sub and trailer comes in close to 10,000 lbs

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You'll probably be ok, but marginal. Trailer brakes will help you out a lot but not essential. One thing that will really help ya is a set of load leveling bars, they help distribute the weight onto the front of your pull vehicle. I own a '96 F-150 with the I-6 engine and 5 speed and am towing heavy loads pretty regularly. Your truck will probably do it fine, just distribute the trailer weight evenly and be careful! Good luck to you.

Bryan

Oh btw, you see I have an excuse, i'm an old ford fan converted to chevy. But you know better, what the heck are ya doin buying a Dodge????[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would figure you need to figure about 2k for a trailer and atleast 5.5k for the truck maybe more depending on the truck and stuff. I know my 79 with camping and trail gear (and my fat A$$) is around 6k. Really sounds like your over the recomended max. Take it slow and put a BIG tranny cooler on it for sure. I personaly would make sure the trailer has brakes. If you get in a situation that requires a quick stop you can forget it with just the brakes on the truck.
    I towed my Supra and was quite surprised how much it took to stop that trailer. That was 3.4k for the car and 2 k for the trailer behind my 75. My 75 has pretty good brakes.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Mike,

I have some experience in this arena. Just got back from South Dakota and The trip was great. I use a 1988 ext. cab Chevy Dually (EFI 454 and 4 spd) hooked to a 20' H&H dovetail flatbed trailer. It works great!! My payload with an extra set of tires and all trail gear is 9000 lbs (Blazer, trailer, extra gear, etc.). Plus the 6000 lbs the Dually weighs and wow you have alot of momentum when going down a 6% grade for 5 miles!

That's my story now back to your 1/2 ton. Bottom line is I wouldn't ride with you if there are any mountains to go over! Most car trailers weigh about 1500 lbs or so plus the weight of trail gear, spare tire for all 3 vehicles, weight of your Blazer and so on will take you over 7200 lbs towing capacity. I see guys do it all the time with a jeep on a trailer using a 1/2 ton truck but not a Blazer.

Just my $.02
    David 75K5

P.S. Some of the pic's are posted at http://www.goldrush2.coloradok5.com/favorite.htm .

[​IMG] http://www.goldrush.coloradok5.com

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>One of these things is not like the other ...can you tell me which one before my song is done......and now my song is done.

God, I hope you guys remember Seseme Street or this will make no sense at all !</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I also plan on towing the ol' Blazer with my '01 Dodge Ram. While you will be close to the maximum rated capacity, I think you should be okay as long as you have everything setup okay...that means good trailer brakes and being able to transfer the weight on the trailer around so you have just the right amount of tongue load. The weight distributing hitches are also a great addition for increased stability.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My borther has a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 360. He towed my friends Chevy 1/2 Short wheel base 4x4 P/u home from Bloomsburg PA on a small U-haul trailer. He said he almost couldn't tell it was back there and had a lot of cargo in the bed.
    He didn't have any problems hauling it and it was a 4 hour trip.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

LMAO!!!!!!!
    I read the first two words then started singing the rest. LOL!!! NUT!

Kyle
    89K5

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Titanic - what size is the trailer you are using (width, length, weight capacity, etc...). Also, is the trailer wide enough for the truck to fit in between the trailer fenders. I'm currently shopping for trailers to tow my Blazer and any info would be helpful.

12. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I had my trailer built locally. It's 18' long,12k cap. with BIG brakes on both axles,not sure total width but it's max. DOT legal width which means I couldn't fit between the fenders without rubbing-so we made the fenders out of c-channel so I can drive over. Load distributing hitch is a must when you're pushing the limit.

13. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Titanic, Do you ever stand on your front bumper while someone else drives, with your arms wide open yelling, "I'm on top of the world!!!!" j/k[​IMG] Killer, killer, killer RIG!!!!!!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

14. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

this is the trailer i use it is pretty nice it has a hydrolic clyinder on the front and you pull this pin out and it tilts back and when you drive up on it is slowly comes back down and you just slid the pin back i9n it is pretty sweet . and the fender are strong enought becouse i have to run over them .

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I tow my blazer with a heavy duty 3/4 ton with a 454. I have brakes on both axles of the trailer and use every bit of them on Vail pass and some of the other hills here in Colorado. I dont think a 318 has enough umph to pull your blazer. My friend pulls his Scout with a 1/2 ton dodge with a 360. His trailer is 700lbs lighter and his Scout is over 1000lbs lighter and on the big hills I have to pass him and go on. So unless you live in a flat state you will struggle to keep the speed up and your tranny will not appreciate it either.

16. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

to 6.2 Blazer. If you want the blazer to fit between the fenders of a standard trailer you will have to take some 8" chevy wheels and cut them down to 5.75 inches and use some 215/70/15 tires. This is what I do and I touch the insides of both fenders pulling it on the trailer. This also gives the advantage of lowering the hood to keep the wind resistance down.

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Butch - when you say "standard" trailer, what width are you talking about. Most of the trailer places around here offer either 6' 6" or 6' 10" width trailers. I haven't had the chance to check the measurements real carefully, but it looks as if the 6' 10" width might work.

BTW, the "other" truck is a Dodge with the 360 and 4.10 gears. Also, we don't have too bad of hills here in Ohio.