Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone whos swapped carb for Holley Pro-injec, Increases in power/mileage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I am planning on dumping my Edelbrock carb for a holley pro-injection setup. I'm hoping for much better gas mileage and maybe some more power. I only have a 305 with a 465 trans, but with these new axles and 36's, its pretty slow. I'd just like to know anyones results with it.

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    77 Blazer 350/th350/NP203 conveted to part time, odometer not working, 100-109 psi comprsion
    36 SS TSL's, 4.56:1, Quardraget carb rebuilt unkown if original. About a three month average in town, and driving
    to the trail head was about 10 MPG. Now with the Pro-Jection and Hwy driving, and lean tuning I can get 15-17MPH, the 15 is in winter, the 17 is in summer. The low rpm torque is crisp, and controlable, but without
    a Dyno I would guess the same power. I do know every year during Emmision Testing, noone at the Test
    Facility can believe the good numbers. If you going to do it for gas mileage only, don't, there are more benifits
    than MPG. Think about it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

get rid of the 305, THEN go to injection. No matter what you put on that motor, short of nitrous (lol) you aren't going to have enough power to get that heavy truck moving.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How long did it take to convert from carb to pro-jection?

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I put the Holly pro-jec on my old toyota land crusier when they
    first came out to replace the Q-jet i was running for the cost
    it can't be beat it's the best thing you could do for your small
    block. If you want to know the yota had a 383 then when i sold it it had a 400 as for the install i think it took me about
    a day to do. And as someone else said you should at some time step up to a 350 or 400.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

injection is definately the way to go but i would'nt recomend anything that holly put their name on, go to howell's web site, w/the right intake they have a kit to use a factory tbi and comp. (if your not going w/a hudge cam) this will produce as much power and be WAY more reliable. off that 305 a.s.a.f.p.!

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Actual install time was about 4-6 hours. This did not include running a return gas line to the tank !
    Tunning time and working out the small bug's took many hours, I had one of the first Analog Pro-Jections.
    It did start and run on the first try, but to get very good performance took some tunning.
    Hope this helps

8. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ya know i'm not sure why ever one rips on the 305 so bad. No, its not as good as the 350. But it isn't the flaming POS that every one makes it out to be. I've got a 305. I've been having carb problems lately so its been running a tad rough but thats not the engines fault. The few times I've had it off road it had plenty of power to get me through anything I would need to be getting through. I know plenty of people that swap 305's into their Toyota's and have no problems at all with them. I've got a friend or two with camaro's that have 305's in them and they flat out scream. If I had the time/money/knowledge/tools to swap in a 350 believe me I would and I'm sure every one else feels the same (no comments about wanting 454's [​IMG]) But not all of us need that kind of power.

On a SIDE note relating to the original topic...can the kit be swapped from a 305 to a 350 if you change engines in the future? Or is the kit for a specific engine?

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers