Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone whose broken their rearend; ->questions, please read

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I have a 86 Silverado with corporate open carrier 10 bolt axles. Today i backed outta my driveway and went to pull away (i reved it up a bit and lauched the clutch) and a horrible metal cluntching like gears not meshing together right, sound emitted. I thought it was the transmission at first, but just now i went out there to move it and left the door open and it sounds like it from the rear. Plus when i went to move it forward (its parked on a slight hill in the rain) the right tire was spinning a little and i wasn't moving, but it was jerking and making all the clunking sound. Then it clunked hard and then shut up and suddenly all the power seemed to go to the left tire and it rolled right up the driveway.. So i have a feeling now that i broke a tooth off the gear inside the pumpkin. Does this sound right? Please give me any opinions and help. I gotta fix my trusty brute. Plus my Formula isn't insured to drive yet ;( I hope its the rear-end, perfect excuse to finally get that locker, unless the axle splines are whats broke.

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

When my rear end blew up and started making noise, I had someone walk beside the truck as I drove it and they could hear the noise coming directly from the rearend.

If you broke an axle shaft, I would think that your truck wouldn't move at all. If the ring gear broke a tooth, then you might have a serious problem. Either it will start domino'ing and the rest will break, or it might be fine --- you'll just have to get the broken tooth out of the housing.

My rear 10 bolt had a broken ring gear tooth when I got it, and I didn't even know about it until a bearing went out and I opened it up to take a look.

I suggest you put the truck up on jackstands and open the rear cover. It could really be anything at this point.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

if what you explain is true it sounds like the teeth on the right side spiders may have shreaded. it doesn't sound good, I'd suggest throwing it on jackstands and pulling the cover.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Silverado4x4

Ya but thats not bad to me, because that can all be fixed by installing a Locker right? I thought i would be pulling my trans down again...major pita. A locker can be installed by me from what i hear..If that is whats wrong, and i put a locker in, is it worth it? Will that make it stronger? I mean, its not like i have a real powerful engine to break that gear, although i am hard on it. Just wondering if i should go to a 12 bolt.

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Please fill out your profile so we can tell whatcha got and where yer at...makes it a lot easier to give useful advice. If you can pick up a 12 bolt cheap with same ratio, toss that puppy in. Half day job and a decent bit stronger. A lot depends on how you use the beast..tire size..etc.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just being as ONE with nature"

6. Silverado4x4

Okay i filled out the trucks description in my bio, if thats what your talkin about...

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just because if you install a locker does not mean it will fix your problems or make it stronger. You will still have a weak link elsewhere in the drivetrain. I have seen a Lock Right installed into a stock rear and still blow up the whole thing. Why not just upgrade to a 12 bolt? Or, if youre wanting to retain your 6 lug pattern, go better...go with a 14 bolt semi-floater. These are out of 88 and newer trucks.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A Lock Rite wont make it stronger. To get added strength yo need to get rid of the stock carrier, A Detroit would be your best bet, but then you need to have someone set-up the gears.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I broke a shaft once a few miles back into the trails. It was in my 10 bollt with the Gov-Lok.. The axle broke right after coming out of the diff and left the spine part still inside the diff. I was able to drive this out, but had to stop about every 100 ft and jack up the rear to push the broken axle back in...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

10. thatK30guy

Your story reminded me of when my 12 bolt lost the pinion yoke!! I was just driving downtown and THUNK!!! The truck skidded to a halt and I looked back to see the driveshaft laying on the ground. The pinion nut fell off (came loose) and when it did, the pinion sort of "fell back" into the housing. It locked up the whole gear set and skidded the tires to a stop. I put it in reverse and it came loose. But when I went forward again, it would only go so far and then would lock up again. I ended up taking the cover off and saw that everything was damaged including the housing. So, I just swapped another 12 bolt in. Talk about a good memory, huh?!?!

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Guessing you have an Eaton Gov_LOck, and it need fix'in, or maybe your cross shaft and spider/side gears
    need fix'in. Either why you will have to remove the cover and take a peek. ! I know this last step is very hard to do
    but I think you can handle it.
    Good luck
    P.S. please tell us know what is was when your sure you know.

12. Silverado4x4

Okay i finished gernading it today. Took it down the street today and it finally clunked and then shut up. No movement in gear. I got out and noticed something from inside punctured threw the diff cover, it was leaking fluid. So what did i break you think? I think the cheapest way for me to fix it is to swap in another 10 bolt for now, i wanna upgrade later. A 14 SF is six lug pattern? I didn't know that. Some tech's i've talked to (DTS, Drivetrain wharehouse, etc.) told me that the 12 bolt isnt' much stronger and to not waste my time. Best idea is to beef up with a detroit locker. Anyone got a 10 bolt laying around??? ;(

13. thatK30guy

Yeah, I got one with 2.73 gears. This is a complete axle assembly and would make a great candidate for a rebuild for your choice of gears and locker.