Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**Anyone with a 2-3" susp. lift and no steering correction please read**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Apr 27, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

**Anyone with a 2-3\" susp. lift and no steering correction please read**

I have been messing with my alignment, got the toe perfect, but the drag link is way off. I have 1.5 turns of the wheel to the right, and 2 to the left. My wheel is close to 90 degrees off. My draglink I think is too long. Can anyone measure how long their draglink is? Mine is right at 17", it is set as short as possible, but I think it needs to be shorted. I measured the one on a stock Suburban and it was 18"...hopefully his steering wheel was close to centered, its just sitting in a parking lot. thanks

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: **Anyone with a 2-3\" susp. lift and no steering correction please read*

Nevermind, I gots it. It needed to be longer, which would make sense, since the stock draglink is straight, and the one on a lifted truck is the hypotenuse of a triangle...kind of...that thing I learned in math a long time ago actually did pay off. I'm also never paying for an alignment on this thing again. That was extremely easy.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

howd you set the toe? i need to do that to mine...

Later

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

pretty sure toe is adjusted just my adjusting the length of the tie rod...

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Setting toe adjustment is easy. Jack up the front of the vehicle and get a piece of chalk and spin both front wheels and scribe a chalk line (down the tread surface) about the middle of both front tires. Now simply take a tape measure and measure from the left tire to the right tire at the chalk line in the front of the tires (front side towards the front of the vehicle) at the center height of the tires and record your measurement. Now repeat the same measurement from the backside of the tires (rear side towards the rear of the vehicle). Now look and see what the spec should be and adjust accordingly by loosening the tie rod adjusting sleeve bolts and turning the tie rod either way to get the correct measurement. Positive toe means the front of the wheels are pointed outward of each other (larger measurement in front of wheels than behind wheels) while negative toe means they are pointed towards each other (smaller measurement in front of wheels than behind wheels). Once you have the correct toe adjustment don't forget to tighten the adjusting sleeve bolts. I hope you understand this and that this helps you.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't even use chalk. I measured from the inside of the tires...right at the corner of where the sidewall meets the tread to the same place on the opposite side. The measurement for perfect toe was 61.25", but that is with a 10 bolt with 33x12.5's on 15x10's, not sure of the backspacing. Your best bet is trial and error, since you may have a different setup than me. Set it at 0 toe, or equal measurements front and rear.

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

NIPPLE HEADS...if you guys wanna shread tires, listen to everything abovE( EXCEPT the 2 directly above on toe adjustment.). TOE is allways the last angle set.. your drag link is not an angle, it is a center point..you dont wanna lengthen your drag link either. you need to find the center of your total turn lock to lock ( left to right) if it is 3 turns total, go to 1 1/2 ans then adjust the drag link to that ( hence..on a full size chevy the p/s arm will point at the fender at dead center) then if you have full lock to lock radious, r & r the steering wheel and putt'er strait. also, that triangle thingy...its called an ackron angle, it is the center triangluation of any vehicle.AND GET A FUBBIN RAISED STEERING ARM SILLY, ITLL HANDLE 1000xxx BETTER.