Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with a 2001 Chevy HD 4wd....Gas Milaage...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Jul 8, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

What is the normal gas mileage one should get from 2001 Chevy HD Crew Cab 4wd, with the auto and 8.1 gas engine?
    My buddy has one and last night we got about 6 miles a gallon pulling an empty trailer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Is that normal? I was shocked! He is always saying that it SUCKS gas like there is no tomorrow, but I didnt really think about to what extent. I mean if it was an older big block from the 80's or something, I would understand maybe, but a brand new motor? I figured he'd ge at least 12 or so! Maybe thats just dreaming /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif!
    So if anyone has experience, or knows what they SHOULD get, post up please. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW, its also got 35's on it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Have a friend that has one all stock and he gets around 8-10 in town driving. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I say you would be better off with a diesel, but I'm a little bias on that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

3. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I have a 2001 2500HD Extended shorty 4x4 with an 8.1L, ZF 6speed manual trans, 4:10’s and 285 BFG tires. City or highway, empty or loaded this pig only gets 10 to 11 MPG.

Heck, my 78’ K10 with a new crate 454 gets about 9 MPG in town and feels like it has more power than the 8.1L too. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

damn, I guess these things just SUCK!! I agree, big gas motors have power, but damn I've driven those new Diesels and man those KICK @SS, and pull like nothin!! Gas mileage is 'great' too!!
    I guess if you can afford to buy one, you should be able to afford to put gas in it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I was just amazed when we went about 80 miles and he used about a half a tank /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My experience as follows:

2001 8.1L - got 6.5-7ish pulling a 7000lb trailer. Around town, empty no trailer it got 10. Highway was lucky to see 12.

2002 6.0L - got 7ish pulling the same 7000lb trailer. Around town was 10ish and highway 13. IMHO the bigblock has much more power and get nearly the same mileage. Go BBC and not with the 6.0L. You'll be happier. The 6.0L had plenty of power but it was all up higher in the RPM band.

2003 6.6L Duramax- Pulling same trailer I get 13-15 depending on terrain and how hard I work it. Empty around town 15-16. Highway 19-21 driving reasonably.

Needless to say I love the diesel. Plus it outpowers all the others empty and towing.

My .02,
    John

6. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

I've got a '02 3/4 ton Yukon XL I use for a daily driver & tow rig that has the 8.1 I average around 10 mpg city/hwy combined. Best tank ever was 14 mpg on the highway for the entire tank at 78 mph. I pull my '83 K5 on a heavy trailer and also a very large enclosed 4 place snowmobile trailer with it and get about 6.5 mpg hwy with the cruse set around 75 mph. It sucks the gas but even with all that weight it never looses over 1 or 2 mph up hills - it pulls real hard. Oh, I have 4.10's also. Wanted the Duramax but they are not even a option now in a Yukon/Suburban. Have a friend that works for GM and he is working on '07 Yukon's now as the first year with a Duramax. Love the truck & can deal with the milage. I'll order a Duramax in '07.

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My cousin has one Reg cab longbed with the allison 8 empty about 5 pulling his 32 foot gooseneck trailer but man does it have power !!!

8. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I read somewhere you have to drive them a little different than the old motors and you will get better milage. I don't have one so I can't really say. They said that insead of running it up in the rpms you should try and keep them lower in there. I think it was 3500 not really sure but you might try it. They guy was claiming 15 on his burb and 14 on his friends CC. You guys might try that.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My 2500 HD 4x4 Crew on 33s gets just under 20 empty, and 13-14 heavily loaded... But it don't burn gas... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

my 2001 chevy 2500HD 4x4 ext.cab short bed 8.1,auto,3.73's gets 8-9 in town and 12-14 on the highway 65-70. towing, i'll be finding out this week when i go to bloomsburg jambo trailering my k5. hoping for 8 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Milage usualy impoves with some miles on the engine.

But a Big Block is a Big Block, you don't get 'em for the gas milage.

12. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I have the old style 2000 crew cab short box 4x4 with a vortec 350 and 3:73 gears and 265/75/16 tires on it. It gets about 15-16 highway, 13-14 town driving and 8-11 pulling a trailer with gross weight of 5000 pounds. Wish I had gotten the big block cause for pulling, my truck dosen't have enough steam to get it rolling. Also big blocks are hard on fuel mileage. I REALLY hate to say this cause I AM a diehard Chevy fan, buy a 7.3 powerstroke truck if you want pulling power and mileage. International really built a hell of an engine.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I really dont hate to say it, cause i'm not a die hard fan of any brand. I like my blazer cause it's cheap and it works. I also love my CTD cause it pulls like a raped ape and will last forever. I can't even fathom getting 6mpg towing especially in a truck that you paid 30Gs for in the first place. Now if you get 6mpg in your 1985 Chevy 454 that cost 4K, that's understandable. I get hands down the best CTD mileage I've ever heard of. It's 2wd, 3.55, HO 6 speed. Most of my friends with CTD have the 4.10 gears and get 3 mpg lower, but 3.55 is more than enough and leaves you in the right powerband at 30 and 70. Anyway, I see 19-20 in town, 22-23 on the hwy unloaded, and around 16-17 pulling the K5 on a trailer and loaded for a weekend. So I can firmly say go diesel and never look back. Chevy, ford, dodge, whatever....GO DIESEL!

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree 100% I was looking at 3/4 '86 'burb w/ a 454 and would have no prob w/ it getting crappy MPG. But a new truck better be able to be more effeint(sp) so its got be diesel.