Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with a 79 Jimmy/Blazer HELP!!! ASAP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Jul 4, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

K... here's my problem. The guy who owned my truck before me put the wrong harmonic balancer on. It is like off a 454 or something, i have no idea. Anyway, it hits/rubs my crossmember. There are several different options for the balancer when I call the parts store. They want an OEM number. So I figure if i find someone else with a 79, with a 350, it should be close enough. Can someone with a 79 please get me the part number off of your harmonic balancer? Would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. ArmyEd

ArmyEd Registered Member

The part number is on the backside of the balancer, therefore I think you need to take it off to get the number, The dealer should be able to get that info from a book, you shouldn't have to supply it, a 350 balancer is a 350 balancer if I'm not mistaken

3. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

all sb chevy use the same balancer except the 400cid, so yours should be ok.
    i would check the motor mounts instead since 4wd use different mount.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong but I think theres only 2 diameters of balancer, 6"and 8". have you checked your motor mounts to make sure they are in tact. If they are boken or collapsed it would allow the balancer to hit most likely. My K5 is an 86 but I think this is pretty much a universal question. I am of course assuming that you have a SBC. If your running a BBC then I'm lost. [​IMG]

PUREINSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under![​IMG]

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Sara,

Are you certain that it's the wrong balancer? I've had the problem you mention, myself. It turned out that the engine mounts were just so worn that the engine had settled to the point that the balancer was rubbing on the crossmember.

As far as I know, GM used 8" diameter balancers on most small block truck engines. But, you can get them in 6.25", 7.25" or 7.75" diameters, also. The GM Performance website lists several of these at: http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I too would check out the mounts.
    BTW a 454 balancer is externaly balanced and will not work on a SBC crank.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup, check your mounts .....by the way, I'll be contacting you real soon about ordering some stuff from LMC for me ...

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What does the harmonic balancer have to do with engine torque?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

i have a stock 79 blazer if ya tell me where to look.

[​IMG]

10. xtremewlr

xtremewlr Registered Member

In reference to the question on how the harmonic balancer can affect engine torque:

The 8" balancer will be a little heavier than the 6" balancer due to the size. The added weight will help ing torque due to this (it will make the engine want to continue turning) but it will hurt the ability for the engine to rev up faster. Its all physics. On a race car, if you want to make a fast, high revving engine, you put on a light flywheel. But if you need more grunt (torque) then you install a heavier flywheel. the same idea can be applied to the harmonic balancer.

Hope this helps.

11. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

On the Blazer, find out where your timing mark tab is. There are two locations, straight over the top (you have to look between the water pump and block) or off to the drivers side. Also, the Blazer uses the smaller diameter balancer. Mines a 79, and the timing mark tab is straight over the top. The only difference between the two styles is keying on the crank to line up your timing marks. Some one told me to use the larger diameter for a little more torque, but there was not enough room between it and the crossmember.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what I figured--I just never thought it'd make that much of a difference. I didn't even think you'd be able to measure the difference.

Time to look for an 8" balancer :)

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Motor mounts and I don't mean just the rubber part I mean the bracket on the frame. My 75 had the rivits shear and the weight ot the motor rotated the bracket. I had to jack it up and put bolts in to correct the problem. The mouts rivit to the rail and the cross member. The Ones at the cross member are the ones that fail.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper