Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with a Duramax - I have a question for ya......

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 87GMCJimmy, Dec 12, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at the 03-04 GMC's 2500HD short bed 4wd w it D-A combo. Just wondering what options/trim levels you got and why? Anything you got and wouldn't get again, things you didn't get and now really want.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

2500HD Short bed, crew cab, 4x4 Dmax/Alli and all the goodies!

Mine's loaded out except for the CD changer. I don't think there is anything else that could have been added when I bought mine, but that's how it was sitting on the lot. One thing I can say for sure, this is by far and away my favorite truck ever out of MANY I've owned.

I couldn’t care less about “On-Star” but it could be handy if you want it and pay to keep the service.

I miss seating for 6, but those heated leather buckets sure can spoil you…

I love the climate control too. Set the temp I want and pretty much leave it year round. No more adjusting constantly just trying to keep it comfy.

What can I say about 540 ft/lbs @ 1800 (?) and 320 hp @ 2200 stock (or there about, don’t remember the exact numbers) with an auto that makes a Th400 look like a first year 700R4? For under $500 worth of computer changes you can push that into the neighborhood of 450 hp and 750 ft/lbs.

A don’t forget the rear axle stronger than a FF 14 bolt.

Or the soft(ish) steady ride and steering, loaded or not, that makes a well maintained solid axle 1 ton look like a buck board wagon in need of an alignment? And I speak form experience having owned several.

What else can I say except that I’ve never regretted the decision to buy it. Not even when the payments are due. Every other vehicle I’ve ever owned I’ve wished at least for small changes or more of something, but not this one. With most every truck I’ve had before I frequently found myself wanting more power, fuel mileage and GVW… not a problem on any of those any more! I haven’t even really felt the urge, much less the need, to spring for the computer box. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. 87GMCJimmy

Thanks for the input!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Right now is a good time to go shopping b/c there's $2500 factor incentive plus I have a GM Credit Card that I can get another $1500 off.

Hmmmmmm, what color to get.

Mike

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I got the LT looaadeddd... lifted 6",chipped,exh,intake. Man what a truck. the D/A combo is the only way to go if you tow. I would get rid of the wife first /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Bad news Toby, the duramax is the wife's /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif So if she goes, it goes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    Bad news Toby, the duramax is the wife's /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif So if she goes, it goes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doh!

I would let go of the wife, the house, the buggy AND the shop before the DMax goes...

I am also thinking I might just step up for one of the "Juice with Attitude" combos after the first of the year. My '02 will be paid off in January and it's time to play. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm thinking the box, free flow muffler to help keep the EGT down, over-due bed liner, and a fancy cap for camping are in order...

One thing I didn't think of earlier on the negative side. The bed side tops are pretty thin and weak. Mine have little shallow “dents” (just waves really) due to levering heavy stuff over the side with arms on the bed side. This is a common complaint reported on TDP and it really is possible to “wave it” with just your arms. Some have put double coats of bed liner over the top to add strength as well as hide the effect. Others have use the diamond plate guards (I don’t like the look though) or over the side drop ins (I hate those even worse).

7. 87GMCJimmy

I'm going shopping friday /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

I think I want an SLE b/c I have leather in the current truck and I'm always putting a towel over it in the summer. I wouldn't use on-star, etc. The SLE with the power package comes with the D/A, rear locker, a towing package, power everything. I'm not really looking forward to getting back into a car payment but I can put enough down where's it's not going to make a huge dent in the finances.

A funny thing is I just talked to my Dad and he just picked up a 04 1/2 ton extended cab chevy.

Mike

8. BadDog

Yeah, I'm not crazy about leather either, but that's what the truck I wanted had. It's really not that bad in the summer, and the heat is nice in the cold, part I hate is the slip-sliding around. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck!

9. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

the "Attitude" is awesome. Beware though... It can eat your Allison. Ask me how I know? Hopefully when I get it back next week I can let you know exactly what parts it ate. 125 hp version at 95 mph it went "bang" and into "limp Mode" it was..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif And I thought the Allison was the stuff.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Time for the Suncoast upgrade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BadDog

Yeah, but $2k for a trans upgrade, OUCH!

As for the Allison, try shoving 700 ft/lbs @ 1800 through a stock Th400 and see how far you get. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm surprised you broke it before limping it though. From what I understood, usually the computer just says "Oh, fark this!" and goes into 50 ft/lb mode till the dealer resets it. And word is that the latest Edge boxes are pretty smart about keeping you off the “limp mode”. The only ones I've seen (or rather heard of) that cook the trans are the stackers who run boxes that disable the defuel on shift...

11. 87GMCJimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmmmm, what color to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer my own question.....

Silver Birch Metallic!

I've only had it for 1 day and I already love it. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all the help!
    Mike

12. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

So far they say its in the valve body. And it did go into limp mode but it reset itself after shutting it down for 20 min all gears came back.CE light stayed on though. Sio I pulled the Attitude out and took it to the dealer. GM has to love those chips /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Warranty is a good thing.

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats!! You will love the truck. I know I love mine! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

14. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I just bought a a used [02] Silverado ex-cab,2500 HD 4x4, LS, Duramax, Allison combo. it drive's like a car, ride's smooth compared to a straight axled 71 D60/14 bolt combo.
    20.72 mpg on the highway, 15.20 city/hiway combo.

The power of the D-Max is just plain awesome! the Allison with 5 speed's, never seem's to "hunt" for gear's, just bang's em up, and come's down smooth.

Bank's and TCI have teamed up to run a fullsize D-Max/Allison through the 1/4 mile in 12.206 second's, @106.254 mile's per hour! out of a damn pickup! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Somewhere around 450 h.p. and 900 ft. lb's of Torque!

Really it's the best Pickup I've ever owned, and I've owned alot of em in the past 34 year's of being a licensed driver.

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats!

Check out this site:

The Dieselpage

Great site for D-maxes. I'm a member over there. There is one guy that has run an 11.94 with an upgraded tranny and just a chip with a few small mods.

John

16. BadDog

Yep, great site for DMax's, I'm a member there too.

And, just got to say, "Welcome aboard guys, your gonna love it!" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. 87GMCJimmy

Let me get some miles on it before I start modifying it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but high 11's is tempting.

156 miles so far, I started at 8 durning the test drive. It's a great truck, I had a 99 suburban and it rides/drives so much better it isn't even funny. I can't wait to tow the Jimmy or boat with it.

Now I just need to find the best places to buy Diesel at.

Mike

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

FYI, In the latest 4 wheeler mag. There is an article about comparing the rear axle in the 2500 HD and the Dana 80.

Side by side at Randy's Ring and pinion. American Gear and Axle is the manufacturer, it has an 11 1/2" ring gear diameter, 2.00 pinion shaft diameter.

Fairly in depth article about the two massive axle's, check it out.