Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANYONE with a JD2 Model 3 bender, gotta ? 4 ya

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Sep 30, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about investing some money in a JD2 model 3 bender and do some work for the locals at a cheaper rate than the stock car shops charge. I have a good mig welder, chop saw, and a band saw I just inherited, as well as a notcher. Can anyone tell me how it attaches to the pedistal base? I have a great big drill press base with the table that usually holds the vise I want to mount it to. Would that work? Also whats a good die to buy. I can only afford one right off the bat. I am thinking about the 6.5/180 for 2" tube. Any tips? And how about the handle should I buy the anti springback handle or fab my own?
    Thanks homies
    Brent

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't have the JD2, but I have the pro-tools one shot hydraulic unit. Only problems I have ever had with it were when I was bending something incorrectly or trying to bend something way out of the limits of the unit. Even when I destroyed a ram by trying to bend a real heavy wall 2" tube, they sent me a new ram with higher rating for no extra charge the next day, with a ups slip to put on the box for me to send the old one back. Yes, they paid for shipping back to them /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . They have by far the best customer service I have ever seen.

Anyway, heres a pic of mine

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I built my own pedestal using receiver/hitch tube so that I could take the bender out and slip in other tools, like my bar stock bender, vise, etc... The bender comes bare, if you don't buy their mount column, you have to get a piece of plate steel and drill holes for the 2 big bolts, then weld that to your column. I wouldn’t mount it to a bench, you need more space around it.

I got the 1.75 x 5.5 180* die. 2" is too big for most cages IMO. Also, I think you will want the tightest radius you can get, 180* for sure. I also built my own handle, and the degree ring is all but useless. Check out the bender tech article on PBB too. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html

4. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Russ,
    I am about to purchase a JD2....why is the degree ring useless? I was going to buy the ring because I figured it was a good way to reproduce angles/duplicate parts. Since I'm about ready to spend my life savings, I'd appreciate if you could tell me how to measure bends w/o the ring.
    Thanks!
    Tom

5. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Brent,
    I am also about to lay out the cash. Where are you going to purchase the JD2? The only place I know is Vansant

Is there a better place? ($$)

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The degree ring is really only usable if you are doing repeat bends. If its one off production then it is just a time waster.

You can buy direct from JD2 as well.

Depdog

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am planning on buying one from JD2 directly.

Thanks for the into folks!

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

DepDog's reason is the same as mine. For the vast majority of the time you don't know or care what the angle of the bend is if your not duplicating bends. Trying to find the *exact* angle when bending to fit something is very difficult. Also, often the piece is not about the angle, but rather getting close on the angle and have the ends wind up in exactly the spot needed. Anyway, I've got the degree ring and I really don't use it. The techniques discussed in the PBB article much more useful. Especially the "angle-o-matic" thingy. Sighting along it, down the bar (like checking a queue stick), is much more useful and accurate than the degree ring.

Good luck on the bender!

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that's the place to be. I've priced a bunch of sites, and vansant blows jd2 factory direct prices out of the water. Free shipping over $500 or maybe $600. That adds a lot of value IMO>

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

If ya got it from VanZant, you could go pick it up. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Whoa, I didnt realize they were in pella. Maybe Ill get one from them and stop out and visit Dougs 4 wheel and rip off center at the same time!

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

go take a look at the pirate site...they have a article on bending with that same bender...my friend also has that bender and i would relly suguest gettin the hydro model...its is one hell of a work out trying to bend...it took 2 of us on a 5 foot extension to bend a 2" tube...it worked well but takes alot of the fun out of it when you have to work so hard at tryin to make a single bend /forums/images/icons/grin.gif we are both not small guys he is 260+ and i am 250 so it wasent the fact that we dident have the weight behind us to do it....hydro is the way to go /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. hungryjpr

hungryjpr Registered Member

The JD2 uses 2 3/4" holes approx. 2" apart for mounting.
    Matt B

14. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I made an attachment so I can mount my Hilift jack on it and it works great. I'm about 165 lbs and I can bend 2" tube and barely break a sweat. I extended the points where the jack attaches to the bender out about a foot so it has a better mechanical advantage. I've got some pictures here...

http://www.mudnuts.org/joe/bender

I know those pictures are pretty cluttered cause my garage is a mess so I can take better ones if anyone needs em.

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

How long does it take to make a 180 degree bend?

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I don't have the "stock" handle/ratchet thing cause I made the bender myself so I don't have any way to compare them. Each click on the jack is about 5 degrees if that helps? Anyone know how far the regular handle moves the die per stroke?

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I remember someone mentioning on one of the Tubing Bender threads that a 90* bend takes 12 pulls...180* should be 24....!

"Build a rollcage, get BUFF!" That's going to be my motto! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Ah ok, so with my setup it'd take about 18 pulls to do a 90* bend, not counting the times you have to reset it in a different hole on the die. So I guess it's more work, but it's a lot easier work... prolly works out even in the end. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif As soon as I save up some extra cash I'm gonna try the air/hydraulic jack from harbor frieght, I'll let you know how hard I sweat while holding down that button if it works! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif