Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with a Lincoln SP-100 or SP-135 welder, help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 20, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ever had a wire get stuck inside the liner? I can't pull it either way out, from the handle end and from the feed end. It happened first to my 135 then when I decided to not bother trying to fix it, my 100 had the same damn thing happen! Both were .024 wire. Whenever I get it back up and running I'm switching to .035.

2. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Try runnin another wire from one end and pushing it through or just replace the liner...I have the 240 volt with the gas and wait till you get alummium wire stuck /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have used aluminum wire and haven't gotten it stuck and am very happy I haven't. We had a 240 but the wire feed mechanism broke and we never really used it anyway so we traded it for another little mig(the 100).

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got the 100 but have always run the .035 flux core wire and never had a problem. I've got a gas kit for it, but never have gotten around to installing it. The flux core wire just means one less thing to worry about. If I had the gas setup I'd probably run out at the worst possible times. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have a MIG and use flux wire? Why not just use a stick welder then? If I wanted to deal with slag and mess, I'd just use a stick welder.

MIG with gas makes such sweet pretty welds in the right hands. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Try straightening it out ang having a good hold on it and pulling really hard on the free end, make sure the end caps are unscrewed too, but you knew that

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhh, let's see. Stick welding requires a MUCH steadier hand. Ya have to keep stopping to change sticks with a stick welder. I can load up a 10 pound spool of wire in the 100 and not have to worry about stopping for a VERY long time. It's not easy to get a stick welder to weld sheet metal without lots of burn-through. The flux core wire doesn't create 10% of the slag that stick welding does. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I had every intention of installing the gas kit until I saw how nice the flux core wire welds. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

In fact Lincoln says right on the unit that you need flux core for the thick stuff. The thick solid wire and gas just doesnt penetrate near as much.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    In fact Lincoln says right on the unit that you need flux core for the thick stuff. The thick solid wire and gas just doesnt penetrate near as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

If nothing else, it'll keep me from having to buy the gas cylinder right away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

for max penetration gas and flux wire works. I got at least one of them last night and finished attaching the truss on my 14 bolt

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Is the wire stuck in your tip? I have had mine stuck in the tip before. I just unscrewed the tip and broke the wire off...

I like my Pro Mig 135...

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the wire stick in the tip ALL the time(I get to close to the metal and stick it). This was the first time it got stuck IN the liner. I tried feeding fresh wire behind it to push it out, but that wire just went all the way through the line BESIDE the stuck wire. So then I just straightened it out and pulled really hard on the stuck one with no regard for the liner and that worked. Then I backed out the .024 and through in .035 and kept welding for a long time no problem. Sadly through all that some of the weld on my truss are now very booger like.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

If nothing else, it'll keep me from having to buy the gas cylinder right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a SP135 and a bottle...

Unless I'm welding on the body, I'm not switching back to gas shielded. I may use the bottle for CO2, if it will work.

Anyone know if you can fill a CO2 Argon bottle with straight CO2? It's a 30# bottle or so... and I can mount it upright....