Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with an LS1 motored Camaro/Firebird?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by kpanza, Jun 19, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there was anyone else with a 98-02 Camaro or TransAm with the LS1? I have a 2002 Z28 and am looking at starting the "modifications game"! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I have heard a lot about the airbox lids being really restrictive on stock motors - am looking at an LS1 Motorsports Direct Flo lid - anyone running one of these? Do you know anyone using one, or something similar? I see gains of 10-15 rear wheel horsepower, but anyone experienced this themselves? Am also looking at the K&N or Holley air filters, and maybe an SLP Mass Air Flow sensor or the Granatelli MAF? If I do all of that, would probably do the Hypertech Power Programmer to get the computer working with all of the mods...
    Anyways, just wondering if any of you have had any experience (good or bad) with any mods to your LS1 motors? Any driveability issues (check engine lights coming on, etc)? Thanks for any advice you can give me!
    It's a 2002 Z28, Auto, factory 3.23 gears, etc, etc...
    Thanks for any help you can give me before I dive into the aftermarket! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

"Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

By the way, I forgot to mention that I have already done the exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler, and next weekend my friend at the exhaust shop is gonna get rid of that really restrictive driver's side "flattened" pipe and put in a nice, open pipe to match the rest of the system...should free up a few more ponies... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Fbody.com There is a real good forum on LS1 LT1 there. Its a pretty good site in general, kinda like the POR of camaro sites. (just not as brutal) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

have a friend with one with borla exhaust, hypertech programmer, and k&n and it dropped his 1/4 mile times a full 1/2 second!! not bad for about $700

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Bone stock Navy blue metallic 2000 z-28 with 6 speed and t-tops. Only thing i did was disconnect the 1-4 shift interlock, other than that i dont get into the drag racing scene to much. I seriously considered an ATI procharger setup for it but i've heard they still have fuel management problems with it. I decided i didnt want to throw money at another car so im happy just driving this one. Oh and save up for new tires, my goodyears have had it after 20000 miles.

Good choice with the z - Looks like they went with a steeper gear in the slush boxes eh, dumping the 2.73's. Only thing i dont like is the pos monsson stereo system, all flash no go.

lotsa good info at www.ls1.com

Craig

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Got mine with the optional 3.23 gears - the standard for the autos is still the 2.73s...yeah, I love the car, it was always a dream of mine to have one. It's white with t-tops (I love those!)...you're right the Monsoon is more hype than substance, but it is all I need. I don't listen to rap or heavy metal or anything, just good old country and some classic rock...so it is plenty loud for my purposes. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I am happy with the stock performance, but just like the Blazer, I can't seem to leave anything alone! I was looking for a couple of easy, relatively inexpensive mods to add some power if I could, cause you can never have too much power!