Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with custom dashes??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 14, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Can you show me pictures of how you made it and what of? what gauges you put in , etc?

Im thinking of making one from studded alluminum. where should i go get this stuff and how do I go about cutting holes, is there a special tool?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to replace my factory guages with autometer ultra lites. I am going to mount them behind the factory bezel just like stock. I am just going to buy a new brushed aluminum bezel. I am going to mount 2 more autometers on the piller for a total of 8. How I plan on moounting them? I am not to sure how I'm going to mount them but I might be able to reuse some of the stock mounting holes and fab up what I have to. As for drilling a hole, I would use a 5" and a 2&5/8" hole saw.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I am also going with the ultra lites.

My factory dash is plastic and I dont like how it looks anymore. After having to get some vatozone gauge and wiring it all ghetto-like. I want to go ahead and do it right and make it look nice.

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine and member of this board (T-roy) has a nice custom guage panel in his blazer made out of diamond plate aluminum with white face (not the ultra lites but with the black ring). It looks absolutely awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif He is talking of redo'ing his soon because currently its a 2 piece experiment and he wants to make it all one piece like the stock bezel. The diamond plate makes it look so tough.

5. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I made a custom dash with ultra lites and diamond plate. You can kind of see it in the webshots. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I used Automaster Phantom guages on a repainted stock bezel for my 69. Here is a front and back pic. 5" speedo and tach, 3 3/8" oil pressure, 2 5/8 small gauges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, thats nice n clean.. for some reason I thought the backside of a gauge cluster would look a whole lot more like...

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

how random. A plate of spegetti... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I wish there was a good picture of a second gen done like that....

10. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

11. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I am trying to get set up to bend up aluminum diamond plate dash bezels. I did build the one that is in my 80K5 right now. I don't like the way that it sits. It was cut using stock inserts. I will bend a single piece to follow the contour of the dash and cut holes for Auto Meter gauges. I really like the 69 panel pictured. Very sanitary! When I get mine done, I'll post some pics and if you want one, I'll build you one, for $ of course. Hopefully I can get on that soon. Thanks JDBlazer for the support.
    T-roy

12. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Still have to add the sending unit wires and some other stuff but I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible. I was going to use some type of junction box but it just turned out easier to do it the old fashioned way.