Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone with KC lights, please help-simple stuff, but i'm an idiot. /update/

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Sep 5, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

anyone with KC lights, please help-simple stuff, but i\'m an idiot. /update/

you know the relay for the lights? little black box with 4 prongs sticking off of it. i unplugged all the wires
    (4) and i don't remember which ones go where. there are 4 connections coming off of it. they are numbered, 87, 85, 30 and 86. there are 4 wires also, ground, power from the batt., one to the switch, and one to the lights. which wires go where? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

yall aint gonna believe this! they started working and then stopped again. get this, the wire from the lights to the relay got pinched in the front-right body mount! i mean squished!! the plastic protector and all. how would it get pulled into the body mount like that? that's why they weren't workin. i'll get a pic up.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: anyone with KC lights, please help-simple stuff, but i\'m an idiot.

30 is the power feed from the battery
    87 goes to the lights

85 is ground
    86 is switched power

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Go to their web site.They publish schematics.

KC Highlights /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. muddysub

thanks guys!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. muddysub

thankyou guys i bought a new fuse wired the relay and they came to life!

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You saved me... I have to rewire the 4 ones I have in a few months (after new bumpers) and now I will know what goes where since most of the wires are missing...

7. HarryH3

There's a nice solution for sale pretty cheap here. You get the relay and a pre-wired connector for less than $10. This way you only have to remember which wire goes where the first time you install it. After that, you can just unplug the harness. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

THose terminal post numbers are pretty common for relays. Most are numbered the same way. Some times you will see a "87a" that will have power from 30 when the relay is not energized. No power when it is. Some will have two terminal 87's.
    On the 85 and 86 you have several options. You can go a positive or a negative trigger. If you go a negative trigger wire then connect 85 to 30. run 86 to your switch and then put a wire to ground on the other side of the switch. This will mean that you don't have to find a 12 volt source then go to the switch with it then to the relay. Only down side is if you have a indicator light then using a positive at the switch is usualy easier since your going to need a 12v sorce for the indicator light.
    Remember to ALWAYS fuse. For something like a pair of 100w lights 15 amps is more than enough. The trigger for the relay is very low draw and 1 amp is plenty for it. The reason I like going Negative trigger is no need to fuse up at the switch end of things. If the wire shorts the lights come on and no danger of burning something up.

9. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    For something like a pair of 100w lights 15 amps is more than enough.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually that fuse will be too small, if the lights really are 100 watts. 100 watts x 2 = 200 watts / 12 volts is 16.66 amps. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Even if the lights only really reach 100 watts at 13.8 volts, it's still borderline. 100 watts x 2 = 200 watts / 13.8 volts is 14.49 amps. I'd go with a 20 amp fuse so that there's a bit of headroom. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

As for using ground at the switch to enable the relay, that will certianly save some wiring hassles. But I like to wire most of my stuff so that it goes off with the key. That way I don't have to remember to turn off stuff like fog lights when getting out in a raging snowstorm. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif (Guess how I learned this?!) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif If you want to still be able to use the lights with the key off, you can just add another switch, to let you easily change the power source for all of the other switches. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. muddysub

yeah my kc daylighters came with 20 amp fuses.

11. HarryH3

Those must be the new "value engineered" 100 watt halogen Daylighters. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The original Daylighters have 150 watt sealed beam bulbs that KC claims throw 385,000 candlepower and can illuminate a reflector at somewhere around 4 miles on a clear night. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif A pair of 'em will draw 25 amps. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. muddysub

that's what i have i think, they were like $110 for the pair and they're some serious long range lights.

13. HarryH3

The bad boys have a sealed beam lamp. It looks like this: http://www.kchilites.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&amp;DID=40&amp;Product_ID=183&amp;CATID=14 and has the 385,000 candlepower rating.

Most of the newer ones use a replaceable halogen lamp that looks like this: http://www.kchilites.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&amp;DID=40&amp;st=5292&amp;st2=-126739405&amp;st3=407938596&amp;Product_ID=185&amp;CATID=14 These have an output of 200,000 candlepower each.

A 20 amp fuse will blow if you have 2 of the 150 watt muthas wired through it. There's a pic of the orginal Daylighter here: http://www.kchilites.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&amp;DID=40&amp;Product_ID=88&amp;CATID=9

KC also sells a light that looks similar, but doesn't have the rubber shock mounting for the lamp and the light assembly. You can see that one here: http://www.kchilites.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&amp;DID=40&amp;Product_ID=77&amp;CATID=1

14. muddysub

i have the original daylighters then.

15. muddysub

Re: anyone with KC lights, please help-simple stuff, but i\'m an idiot. /update/

ttt

16. muddysub

Re: anyone with KC lights, please help-simple stuff, but i\'m an idiot. /update/

check out the last pic in my misc album in my webshots.