Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with Lockright only in front axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Feb 16, 2002.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I have gone thru 2 Lockrights in the rear 10 bolt axle in the last 6 months running 35" tires.(stock engine) Sounds like the carrier is stretched or the thrust washers get destroyed. I don't no for sure, but I don't want to put anymore money into that stupid 10 bolt rear. I want go to a 14 bolt this summer and convert the front to 8 lug. For now I am thinking of installing the new Lockright in the front. How will the truck perform? I only use 4-wheel drive for serious offroading. Not driving around town with a little bit of snow on the ground. I run mostly mud, not many hills, big mud holes and not many rocks at all. Is the power to the front 50%? I guess it is.
    Anyway thats for your help

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Hey Eric, good to see a someone else from Ontario in CK5.
    I run a lock right up front in my 10 bolt. Let's just say it's good for going slow. They are good in mud but it will pull you around as it engages. It can be a bit unerving. I wish I put it in the back and ran the Auburn in front but I'm going to a D60 and 14ff at some point this year so I'm leaving it for now. So where abouts are you? What club do you belong to?

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I have a Dana 44 front and Keith Deal has a 10 bolt front. I am running 36x14.5x15 Swampers and he is running 38.5x14.5x15 swampers and we both have Lock Rights in the front axle, Keith has one in the rear as well but has a 12 bolt like me. Neither one of us has had any problems out of them and we beat on em pretty hard off-road. He blew out a c/v shaft in his front drive shaft and has broken front axle ujoints about 3 times. I have blown axle ujoints and front shafts twice.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

4. 88k5canuck

Thanks for your post. I will probably put the Lockright in the front. The truck might drive a little weriod offroad. Like how a front wheel drive car pulls thru snow but eventually I will get something in the rear.

5. K10

K10 Registered Member

I had a Lock Right in the front 10 bolt on my K10. I also run 35" tires. I had destroyed it after about 2 weeks. It stripped all the little teeth it has on the side pieces and would no longer lock. I sent it back and got a Detroit Locker which replaced the entire carrier. It has ran great for 2 years now without a problem.

<a target="_blank" href=http://nick.rockcrawler.com>nick.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. 88k5canuck

K10 Did you figure out what caused the Lockright to shred in the front axle? (lots of horsepower) And were you running a rear locker at the time. I figured the front axle would be easier on the Lockright due to it is not used on the street like when it is in the rear. Anyway thanks for your help.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a lockrite in the front of mine too. Nothing in the back but a gov-loc that works when it gets the hankerin. It does pretty okay offroad, but it's obviously not the best choice for final package. I'm trying to scrape up the money to my carrier swapped and weld up the rear end.

Kyle
    89K5

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I put an Auburn in my front 10 and it is horrible!! It was used, so I I am wondering if it needs a rebuild, but at this point, I am not happy with it at all and I plan on changing it out.

<font color=blue> So Cal Big Dawg Member </font color=blue>

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have a Lock right in my front D60. I bought it because I couldn't afford a Detroit or the re-setup of the front ring and pinion. I am running 39.5" Swamper TSLs and haven't had any trouble yet. When I go four wheeling, I usually lock my hubs and keep t-case in 2WD until I need 4WD. I mainly run in the mud and climb hills. I welded up my rear D60 so i can go a lot of places before putting it in 4WD. I haven't noticed any weird behavior off road, but like I said, I don't use 4WD all the time. Hope this helps.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering