Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with older dirt bike infor out there.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87GMCJimmy, Oct 29, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for an older 4 stroke dirt bike, not too wimpy but not to big either the girl friend needs to be able to ride it! I looked at an 87 honda xr250, it was pretty clean. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions of other make/models of bikes to go look at. Anyone know where to find info on older bikes, number tranny gears, suspension detials, ride height, weight etc. so I compare different bikes on paper.

thanks
    mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

an xr250 sounds like a good bike to get for the situation. but dont exclude 2 strokes unless you have a good reason, i rode an 87 kx125 through the woods all day long last summer. a four stroke might be a little bit easier to learn on if this is the first time she'll be riding a bike, it's power is a little easier to control. How much are they asking for the honda?

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 1978 Honda XL125...its a little under powered for me now (since i am 260lbs) but when i did ride it i was about 185 and had plenty of power...would go anywere i wanted it to go...i havent touched the thing in about 5 years...i think its stuffed in a shed at the shop but i havent even seen it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

There asking 1k obo but it's a clean bike original owner and runs fine. The only other xr250's for sale around here right now are 2k+ range like 94 and newer but most of them look well used. I thing I should get the four stroke for now. If this works out this bike will end up being her bike and sometime down the road I can get my bigger/better bike.

Thanks,
    Mike

5. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

the honda sounds like a good deal if it's in good shape. they have a reputation for putting good engines in their bikes, and when you do need to fix it, parts should be easy to find.