Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with Rhino Lined interiors.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

What did you do with the exposed wiring?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

** im wondering too, i want to rhino line my inside

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

do you mean like the speaker wires and stuff? when my insides get done, im just going to put the stuff down, and lay the wires on top- however I am also going to put carpet back in- I'd call the rhino guy near you, and ask him what he has done.. our rhino guy has done quite a few jeeps- so I'm sure they would know

Brandy

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wiring? what wiring?

J

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm planning this project for one of my k5's, and here's what I got planned. I'm going to just put some white PCV pipe down first, and then rhino line over top of it.

also, people claim that the floor gets pretty hot... well I couldn't really find a good solution for this until I got into hotrodding my 1950 truck. well these trucks have wood beds with the mufflers running under them so they put heat shielding over top of the mufflers etc. so I'm going to heat shield the bottum of the tub between the frame rails.

the shielding would be great, and would probably also save the extra $$$ of making the liner thicker. I've had more then one body shop tell me that once the lining reached minimal thickness the insulating values after that were minimal.

somebody else on this board came up with the idea's for running the wire conduits, but I don't remember who or I'd give them credit.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The 4x4 engaged dash light and light for the4x4 shift indicator.(Yeah I know, if you don't know it is in 4x4 you shouldn't be driving) Seatbelt warning light( that is going away). The stock speaker wiring (no longer a necessity). Interior lights for the hard top. I removed my custome side panels and have not decided what to do with my sub and amps, etc.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

only wire I had was headlight dimmer switch
    and those wires will be there for a long time now they are under the lining

8. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I have herculined my interior. It worked out very nice. As for my wiring, I wrapped all exposed wires in plastic wrap and secured them to the floor every foot or so with aircraft style clamps. Looks clean. I concidered the pvc thing, but decided against it because I would have the a$$ the first time someone stepped on it and crushed the pipe below the liner. As for the heat, I cannot tell any difference. I ran a completely gutted interior sans seats for 6 months, so the liner was a blessing.

Tom

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Speaking of heat-- guess what project I now have to undertake ( or pay someone I should say)

when the previous owner had the dual exhaust put on- the guy flared the header collectors incorrectly on the passanger side.. so right where the rear passanger puts his/her feet, the floor gets so hot, it can and has melted the soles of sneakers... this is with a 3" body lift- imagine if I didn't have a lift. so I picked up the new header collectors Friday, once the truck is on the road- its back to the shop... then at least I can begin the process of protecting my floors, and put some carpet down.

Brandy

10. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

THe only wires I have are the speaker, and rear 12volt for a light in bed (retractable ones from under hood). I intend to run a roll cage and have all wires along upper bars.

11. solowookie

you could do the metal conduits for electrical wires if you were concerned about somebody stepping on them. at least with a conduit if you have a problem with a wire you could potentially re-run it instead of having to ruin your liner to replace it.

I've also heard of people running the wires under the vehciel with holes in the floor which may not be a bad option either.

12. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Although my interior is RhinoLined, I am going with carpet over the lining, so it won't be an issue for me. But, a friend who did his K5 left the carpet out and just ran plastic wire loom mounted with Adel clamps (cushion clamps) screwed into the floor with some silicone to seal the screws. He ran the conduit along the edge of the door sill area.

For the wiring like your 4WD indicator that you can't just run down the side of the cabin, you can drill some small holes by the firewall to route the wiring underneath the cab and use some plastic wire loom for protection underneath. Just use grommets going through the floor, and seal with silicone.

This gave him a real clean installation and prevented any leakage into the cab.

13. solowookie

another thought I've been thinkin is to make my own console, and the the 4WD indicator, light etc. wouldn't be a problem. just have to worry about interior lights, and speaker wires.

14. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Anyone with more pics and more tips?

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"The 4x4 engaged dash light and light for the4x4 shift"
    those sound like they could be re routed under the cab to the firewall and into the dash area

"indicatorSeatbelt warning light( that is going away)
    . The stock speaker wiring (no longer a necessity)."
    non issue then

I would try re routing rather then having wires floating around for passengers n pets to destroy