Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with soft springs ditch swaybar?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 10, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a Tuff Country EZ ride 3" lift and the stock swaybar and was wondering about taking it off. I have it dropped with some brackets i made but the holes in them for the bolts are too big and it moves around. Has anyone with soft springs like EZ rides or something similar taken it off? I don't off road that much, but i heard it helps on the street too. Thanks

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Arguably, I have the softest springs of just about anyone on here, and I don't run a sway bar. I ditched mine over a year ago and have never looked back. I would recommend taking the sway bar off to anyone with off the shelf springs. You shouldn't be taking corners extremely fast in a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

If you have to turn fast to avoid someone, you wish you had a sway bar.
    Laters,Dave

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Simple test:

Unbolt the ends and use a couple of long zipties to pull it up out of the way....connect over to the bumpstop or something.

Then drive it.

If you do mostly street driving, I don't really see the benefit of removing it. Certainly for offroading, there is a big benefit to allow each wheel to "do it's thing" over bumps.

The front sway bar adds understeer on the street...which is the easiest for most drivers to handle in emergency situations. Without it, you will be tending towards oversteer which is a lot more to deal with....if you have a locker in the rear, I suspect it could get REALLY exciting! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, the experiment is easy enough to try. Drive with it disconected for a week, and see if it's worth keeping or ditching it.

(That'll be $.02 please!) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, oversteer is fishtailing and understeer is that crap front wheel drive cars do, right? I can control fishtailing pretty well, might just take it off. the main reason i want to do this is because i lowered it and now it just moves around in the holes that are too big...and it will scratch up the frame and make it rust.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually, almost ALL cars from the factory are setup with understeer (maybe you're thinking about torque-steer which IS a front-wheel drive only issue).

If you have a car that understeers and you start sliding off the road due to heavy braking.....do a little LESS braking. If it's sliding because of too much steering wheel input, just dial out a little steering.....Most people will instinctively do those kinds of things, so that manufacturers tend to design in understeer to make it safest for the "majority" of drivers.

A vehicle that oversteers can be a lot of fun, but it's not something I'd want my mom driving....or young teenage drivers, etc. But you're right, if you know what to do when the rear starts "stepping out" on you, it can be a lot of fun to cross-it-up and throttle out of it or drive it sideways for a while!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think you're on the right track though..... it's a $0 modification, so you might as well try it.

7. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ditched mine when i bought my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Ive been thinking about ditching the rear one any thooughts ??

8. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I have 4"Skyjacker springs in the front and removed the bar...Now that the truck is lisfted i really dont go around corners fast...its a lil top heavy to be doin that stuff...

I did however notice alot of bump steer following the removal...It has to be caused by removing the bar...I got used to it after a day or two of driving but almost put the bar back in....but the truck rides so much smoother i left it off...this world is full of lil trade offs...my .02

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If I am doing any serious offroading I disconnect the sway bar and use the Zip tie method Greg mentioned. No sway bar works great off road. But I hate the way it handles on the street without the sway bar. It wallows around like a beached whale /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I like to drive fast and hate body roll when I'm taking corners. So I usually run the sway bar hooked up on the street.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

hey dammit - do you have any kind of steering correction?

11. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

yup had to crank the adjuster that connects to the arm and drive it then re-adjust it cause it was off a lil bit...it seems that you dont know if its right til it settles a lil...wierd geometry stuff there but it worked out fine ...i just followed the instructions from skyjacker:)

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I run the stiffer Rancho springs and found the on road manners a little too sloppy compared to having the bar connected with the disconnects. I do have a wider stance though from the 3.5" backspacing on the 38's so my on road handling is still pretty tight, even does good donuts with 7" lift and a short wheelbase!

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Mine never had a rear SWAY bar but I added some over the axle traction bars and it made a huge difference (designed for axle wrap). I dont know how these effect offroad-ability my current blazer is the everyday driver and sees 650 miles a week on the highway.

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Sorry off topic for the thread...
    I just bought another 87 blazer and plan on lifting it, adding heavy bumpers and winch... Do you think the softride ranchos will handle that weight or do I need to go with the heavier springs (6")? Thanks, Jeremiah

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With weight, the ranchos start to ride better but they dont compress much from it.

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ive been thinking about ditching the rear one

[/ QUOTE ]

Rear one? Who put that on there? They didn't start that stuff from the factory until mid/late 90's.