Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone with technical knowledge of the D-max?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Leadfoot, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Reason I'm asking is considering a swap down the road. I know that swapping in one of the older non-turbo diesels was a fun job, but not the worst and that there were not too many sensors to worry about, but I was wondering (building a knowledge base) how much the D-max is controlled by electronics. I know allot of input is used for controlling the Allison, but how much info is used and how many electronics are used on the engine itself. I don't know if there is enough of them out there or if people have had enough experience with them, just thought I would throw it out there.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I actually was contemplating such a swap and there was a chevy silverado that was totaled and was being sold as a parts truck, I think it went for something around $5500.
    It was complete with transmission, harness, anything you would need, the frame and front end were badly damaged though and the radiator was toast. Anyway I will be doing the same, gathering info and figuring out what can be done for the next time I get around a nice catch like this. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    IceMan

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The Duramax is totally computer controlled, and works in conjunction with the Allison computer to control fuel delivery, timing, etc.

However, it can be, has been, and is being done.

Check this out:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-4.htm

They're swapping a Duramax into an older Chevy.

Click here to go to the Duramax disucssion forum.

Click here for more tehcnical info on the Duramax.

Casey

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

But how long do they last at 5000 rpm?

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

That's a good question. The Duramax hasn't been around long enough for people to experiment a lot with. However, this particular project is a race truck, so they're more concerned with speed than durability.

I know of a 6.2L powered race truck that went to 8000 rpm.....once! The rear-end let go, and the engine revved to the moon (no governor) before the throttle could be let go of. The memory recall on the tach showed over 8000 rpm before the motor blew to pieces.

Casey