Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anything I can do to help give my rig a cleaner start up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NightRider, Sep 7, 2002.

1. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

Right now it doesnt start well sometimes. I thought it was my battery, which is somewhat old, but I had it checked and the guys said it was fine. Maybe a starter kit I should try or somethin? Thx for help

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

does it only do it when it gets warmed up? if so its your timeing

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm having trouble w/ some rough starting as well. I posted a thread a week or so titled Qjet compatibility & CA emissions, Choke, Dieseling about it and got some feedback that it might be that the choke needs adjusting. I thought it might be the battery as well, so I topped off the cells in the battery, and nothing changed. So now I'm going to figure out how to adjust the choke on the carb. Anyway, I got some good feedback from dyeager535 so you might want to check out that post and see if you're having the same kind of issues. Hope that helps.

4. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

I had been driving it today, stopped to go in store. 15 minutes later came out...went to start and it really was chuggin to start. Stopped again later (same car trip) and same thing happened. Stopped for a final time and it started fine, this time I had been in the store for 30 minutes or so. I'm not sure what it is. Thanks for replys tho. BTW it's a 78 jimmy

5. mudhog

sounds like timeing

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's not timing...that's classic Chevy hot starter probs. My truck was a real beotch to start when it was hot...try and restart after 5 or 10 minutes and it would barely turn over. I have headers and the starter was getting pretty weak. I installed a remote solenoid and it was much better but still not great. I have a separate starter buton low on the dash and eventually I had to get it spinning without power to the ignition then turn the key to start it hot. i finally broke down and bought a new starter and I can't believe how fast it'll crank over now...hot or cold.

A starter can be tested...yours may be almost dead. I have headers and no heat shield so heat soak was the major culprit. I did manage to nurse it for almost 3 years though./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

7. mudhog

thats true it could also be that /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I have always fixed that problen in all the Gm's I've ever worked on . Change you Battery cables to TWO Gauge cables. Both + and Ground! GM has always used two small Gauge wires. This will cost you about 25.00. But I works!