Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anything I need to look out for when replacing ignition?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Dec 27, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok...

the ignition (where I insert my key to start the beast) is defective. it's gone out before, and I had it replaced before I began doing my own work on these things.

any special tools I'll need, or anything I need to be aware of / careful of when I tear into this?

2. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Steering wheel puller and a "lock plate depressing tool" or something to that effect, it depresses the lock plate to provide access for removal of a ring keeper. I know that don't make too much sense without seeing it. Look here

http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html

3. solowookie

thanks...

I'll have to read through that before I go pull this thing.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Its all kinds of no fun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck.

5. solowookie

fun??? I've heard this described as anything but fun... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

note the word "no" before the word "fun". It's anything but "fun".

7. solowookie

you'll have to forgive me... I wasn't paying much attention... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Mines messed up too, I have to force it to start. How much did it cost to have done? I'm kind of afraid to do it myself.

That plate compressor thingy would have come in handy when my dad replaced a turn signal part. I had to push the plate in, soooore thumbs afterwards /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. solowookie

I don't remember how much it cost cuz it was a couple of years ago. I hate turning my vehicle over to somebody else though. I've learned that's a bad thing.

10. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

It's not that bad. If I can do it so can you. Both tools are available as loaners at your friendly auto parts stores. Don't get in a hurry, don't get heavy handed.

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Don't lose the only paper clip in a 50 mile radius that you just spent 3 hours looking for...... That will tick you off and you have to have it. NAPA sells the clip removal/installation tool. It makes life mush easier when trying to put the column together.

If you want advice too, while you have it all apart tighten the 4 little bolts that keep the tilt steering column tight, if you have a tilt column. It sucks taking it all apart to have to do it all over again.

John

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

here is a picture of the tool you need just in casr you want to make one instead of buy it...
    The large black part in the center threads on to the steering column bolt that hold the steering wheel on.

[​IMG]

13. mike83blazer

mike83blazer Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Its all kinds of no fun. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt see that "no" either. but i thinks it is fun

14. solowookie

yep - got one of those... I haven't had time to do this so I'm going to tackle this in the morning instead of going to church. I don't have any other time to do it, and this is a project that can't wait.

15. solowookie

ok - this isn't the locking mechanism. here's my question - GM sells an upper rebuild kit; rack kit#7844651($51.29), which includes "rack" gear, ignition switch actuating doo-hickey(looks like a ship's anchor), goofy spring, two sets of steering shaft roller bearings, and one race.

is it worth the cost to get this kit, and rebuild this upper steering column while I'm in there?

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Hey, what style/year column do you have. I have a couple of columns I have using for parts. tilt or no tilt. auto on column? I might have some of the parts you need.

17. solowookie

I believe this k5 was an auto converted to standard. the column is auto with tilt.

I do have a couple of quesitons. sitting over top of the torque screw that holds in the locking mechanism is a plastic piece with some contacts. now - this felt like it should just pry up, and it came quite a ways.

now, when I pried this up all the way there is a metal piece came out with it that is v-shaped, and seems like it should of stayes in underneath. I'm not sure how all that is suppose to come apart, or go back together.

question #2 - the plastic piece the flashers screw into. there are a bunch of wires that connect to it that are pretty tight. how do I disconnect these so that I can pull the rest of those apart?

18. bablazer73

the first piece that you are pulling out is the "key in ignition" switch. and the bi-metalic spring that goes with it. they should just pull out. The turn signal harness disconnects at the base of the column, under the dash. It has to be snaked out through the top of the column. that can sometimes be a pain. I usually tape it to the harness to help keep it strait when pulling out. Depending on how far your gonna tear into this, you might not need to remove it. There might be enough wire to pull out a little and work around it. If you need the gears for the switch(inside column) let me know. I have a column 1/2 torn apart and I can ship them to you.

19. solowookie

20. bablazer73

that is the part that sort of slides inside cover and pushes down on the rod for the high beam switch. It really just sort of sits in there and the cover on the side holds it in place.