Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anything worth getting here?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Nov 5, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i went to my local just yard for the first time today and took some pics of axles and was wondering what they were? i counted 14 bolts on some of them, but i'm not sure if they'll work for me.... it's a large picture so i'll post a link to it here
    Axle Picture

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I can identify em, you cna make em fit anything lol. Uh, the top left is a 14SF. The other 2 axle closups are 14FF. Now lets see how far off i am lol. Id get one of the 2 14FF's if the price is right.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

but i have 6 lug rims now and was looking for a 14 SF so maybe this will work for me?

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You can get a SF, it would probably be what you want since I have the shafts and stuff for a 6-lug so if you got a SF like you want ill trade you for the 6 lug stuff for the 8 lug stuff if you want.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, if there is a way you can swing a 8 lug conversion, it is almost never a bad thing. The 14BFF are stronger than anything else availible on a civilian vehcile. I might have a line on a 3/4 complete axle set. I could meet you half way if you decide to go that route.

With a 14BFF rear, a locker costs less, it is very hard to break, etc.

A 14BSF isn't a bad second option, but it still has c-clips and if/when you bust an axle, it is just that much harder to get to. If you are gonna upgrade, go all the way. In my expereince, when i only upgarde "a bit" and left something not quite up to what i wanted to do, the 1/2 arsed upgrade would break, and just cost me money. It is easier/cheaper/better to do it right the first time.

sorry for the lecture /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

BTW, it was nice to finally meet you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

After talking to you in the chatroom a while back, Id go with the 14sf. You said you dont do any hardcore wheeling and would like to keep your 6 lug wheels so the 14sf would work great for you. Like was said, you get pretty strong axle shafts and still keep the 6 lug stuff.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, the bottom two rows depict FF 14 bolts.
    If you are determined to stay 6 lug, you can get the 14semifloater. It is much stronger than a 12 bolt. Of course, you still have c-clips, but it is very unlikely that you would break the shaft.
    -- Mike

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, so say i go back and decide on the 14 SF... then how would i tell if it's "good" or not?? and what is a fair price for that one?

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i see 2 14SFs, 2 14FFs and some good straight fenders.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no more than $200 for it. pull the cover, and just take a general, overall look.
    make sure everything spins really good, no teeth missing from the gears, etc. also, the one leaking the least would be the one to get IMHO

11. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Looks like 2 14SF's and 2 14FF's ... also looks like they are all from 2wd trucks.

If you are wanting to go with the 14SF and go 6-lug you will have a little bit of work to do either way you decide to convert.
    #1 - Find a 6-lug 14SF and change the perches so that they will fit your truck.
    #2 - Get the 8-lug 14SF that bolts in to the truck and either:
    (a) swap the shafts our for some 6-lug ones -or-
    (b) fill and drill the stock flanges for 6-lug.

Either way with option #2 you will have to figure something out with the brakes.

I chose to get the bolt in axle ('85 3/4 ton 4x4 burb), swap the shafts ('93 light-duty 3/4 ton 4x4 truck), do a rear disc conversion, and install a lock-rite all at the same time. None of it was terribly hard to do. I built mine with the axle on jackstands, on a trailer, in the backyard.

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont have any experience with the SF, so I dont know what a good price is for it. As far as condition, pull the cover off and look inside. Is there any gear oil in it? are the gears chipped or rusty? do the axle shafts turn freely(are the bearing bad?) Find out what type of carrier it has.(Gov-loc, open, locker?) Let me know what ya find out.