Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anything wrong with a pintle trailer?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 84_Chevy_K10, May 25, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just looked at a number of trailers with pintle hooks on them here locally. They're 12,000 lb GVWR trailers. Any real problem with a pintle hook for towing my truck on?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Just a little noiser. They are stronger and better for off-road use compared to a ball type hitch.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine pulls a tandem axle dual wheel pintle hitch trailer with an F-350 for the place where he works and he says sometimes it is scary when you go into curves because the pintle loop shifts on the hitch because it doesn't fit tight like a trailer ball does. With a heavier tow vehicle such as a dump truck it doesn't seem to be a big issue though.

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

As long as the weight's pretty heavy, it shouldn't be a problem. It will be noisy with lighter loads.

A good 2 5/16" bulldog hitch should be more than enough for towing just about any vehicle with the proper weight distribution setup.

BIGJ

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with you, these trailers happen to have a pintle because a 2 5/16" ball is rated for 10,000 lbs typically and that's about the practial limit.

I'm going to look into what one may cost, I saw a decent used one I might inquire about that looked like it'd be perfect if it had a new set of axles and tires.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Nope, I just towed a Tahoe from Cleveland, OH to Atlanta, GA on my new trailer. It clanks a little, mostly just in stop & go. I like it better than a ball but for no reason other than looks.

That reminds me, I've got a story to tell.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a pintle and I think its fine. I've had it real twisted up and you dont have to worry about breaking a ball (which I've done).

Its also a little harder to steal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I ended up with a trailer with a 2 5/16" bulldog coupler. It's a good thing too becauase without a weight distributing setup I don't think I'd want to make long trips.